Manuel to hydraulic clutch ?

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm working on a project. It is a 1991 Chevy Pickup. The starter bolts broke off and took part of the bolt hole drilled into the block of the 4.3 V6.

We have tried an adapter to go from block mount to bell housing mount, but that didn't work. The spacer does not clear the flywheel. So we're thinking about using a bell housing with a starter mount on it. This well require moving the hydraulic slave cyclinder from the right side to the left, because of clutch lever locations. Seems like a simple thing right ? Well where can I find a mounting bracket for the slave cyclinder.

Some body must make one for the hot rod conversions ? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, I had this very same issue with a 87' SWB 4.3. I was able to remove the remainder of the broken bolt then reassemble with a new bolt in the same hole. Apparently the problem was the bolt coming loose. When I reassembled I used a little bit of red locktight. I have used the red locktight when building HD's for years. Just have to be conservative with its use. Never had another problem afterward. Good Luck

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks - But !!!

Dan,

Thanks for your reply. The problem I have is the outside bolt broke off part of the block and there is no longer a hold to put the bolt in !!! :dunno

Bill

BTW - I'll be mailing the pedels today !!!

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is there at least 1-2" of area you could drill the hole deeper? If so I would drill and put an insert in it and use a longer bolt. Not sure if it's possible though since I have not see that side of a v6.
Is the entire side gone? :dunno

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks

Mike,

The engine side is just broken off. The outside took most all of the hole, so I'm not sure drilling is an option !!! I'll have to take another look at it.

Bill

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
studs

had the same problem with a 350. The reason the brake most times is the front

bracket was left off cousing it to losen.
I welded a stud to the block. CLEAN AREA of threads. Bolt up the starter, put a bolt in the broken spot, with the head removed, backwards. Starter locates stud. Weld with nickle rod. :roll:D

Sounds back yard, but I never had it fall off and it save a good running 350.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A Plan !!!

Now there is a plan, we maybe able to put into action. I'll take a look at it with that in mind tonight !!!! Thanks:clap

Bill