Mom's 1962 Chevy II Project

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Guys,
I found a builder for my Mom's 1962 Chevy II, which she inherited when my Dad passed away. It has the original inline 6 but it's cracked, so I'm leaning towards a Ram Jet 350 and T56 transmission from GM Performance.

I know it's overkill but she'd rather not be in a position to rebuild a carburetor, I feel LS crate engines are too expensive with all the wiring/computers, and she deserves a warranty with the engine.

Anyway, the immediate need is rear axle options. I convinced my Mom to use a kit from Total Cost Involved for these parts:

to strengthen the sub frame. This is something my Dad talked about doing and would have done.

What I didn't realize is the suspension parts included upgrading the front wheels to a 5 bolt pattern. Without realizing it, I've committed her to a 5 bolt rear axle.

My/our current need is a cost effective option to upgrading the rear axle to a 5 bolt pattern, might as well go with a posi unit. I know one option is the rear axle out of a late 90s S10 4x4 with the G80 code. It is 59" wide unless it is off a ZR2, then it is 63" wide. The current stock Eaton axle is 52.5 between backing plates.

The current axle does not have a posi. I would like to upgrade her to disc brakes and a posi.

I'm curious as to what cost effective options are available. I know I can get new axle shafts with a 5 bolt hub but not sure about the work required for rear disc's and a posi.

I'm assuming being an Eaton, the posi and disc brake upgrade work (not parts) would be the same for a 62 Chevy II as it would be for a 62 Impala.

Going back to the request/question at hand. What cost effective and reliable options are there to either replacing the existing axle or upgrading the existing axle to posi with disc brakes?

My dad would never use a Ford 9" but if it's the most reliable and cost effective, I'm willing to use one.

Thanks I advance thoroughly helping me help my Mom!

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Also want point out the kit in the above link is setup for a tri-angulated 4 link. It has all the brakets for the 4 link and comes with coil over shocks for the rear which replaces the leaf spring setup. Ignore the cost, I think it went up $1,500 since I placed the order in October.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The bolt in 12 bolt conversion for that car is a natural shoo-in. The front 5 lug hubs and drums are common, too, the 64-66 Novas probably already had them. When you buy the rear end, specify what it's going into so they can furnish one with the right width. To put a V8 in it, five parts are needed:
1. Nova 283-327 pan
2.Oil pump
3.Oil pump pickup
4.Intermediate drive shaft for the pump
5.One main cap bolt has a stud for mounting the oil pump pickup tube.
I'm sure one of the Nova parts outlets would have this stuff. When you buy the Ram Jet 350 from Chevy
Performance,ask them for what you need.They might carry this stuff.
That front and rear subframe kit looks like the hot setup. That would get you around any chasing OEM part requirements,and the conventional engine block would be a bolt in.

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like the front clip he will be using won't need the Nova pan.
The V8 blocks were different also, the oil filter pad was razed and the clutch pivot ball location was in a different place.
Thankfully the car was originally 3 on the tree and currently has a 4 speed in it. Along the way, my Dad had collected the Nova oil pan, so we have if needed!
At least the other parts should only require Summit or Napa and not terribly custom.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Buy local, buy Mark Williams:cheers Cool project Ragan, post some pics! Oughta shoe horn a 348 in there!
I contacted Mark Williams today and they are the wrong company for this project. They only sell race axles. Their GM 12 bolt starts at $4200 and their 9" starts at $5400. No lightweight versions of those are available.
I have found some options from:
Quick Performances, Dutchman Axles, and some others.
I've got to be careful with the pricing. Besides it's my Mom's budget, some really good looking prices don't include the center section or other important goodies, such as axle shafts...

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Certainly can't argue with a budget. MW offers a bunch of street/strip parts, same as any other, Moser, Strange, etc. Definitely aren't race only, Masterline axles are right up your alley, $450 a pair, any spline 28-35. Entry level Moser axles are $400, entry level Strange are $380. Moser 12-bolt is 3850, with brakes. MW 12-bolt is 3900, no brakes, Strange 12-bolt is 2750, no brakes no perches. All those rears have a 30-spline posi and their entry level axles. Looks like 3500-4500 is about going rate for a street rear.

Reusing junkyard stuff is the only way to really save. I'm into this rear for about 1500, and that's doing it on the cheap. 3.08 posi, 31 spline Masterline axles.
A3B10FAF-3E85-4504-B013-861FD273B83E.jpeg

Last edited:

montemike79

Well Known Member
I have two 12 bolts from Moser, bought 15 yrs apart. Both spec'd the same, bolt in rears for my Monte Carlo and my Nova, 33 spline bolt in axles, detroit trutrac, and aluminum girdle cover. Uses stock brakes, they were $2600 a piece. I believe the trutrac alone was $450 extra, and the cover was another $150, so you would be closer to $2k if you went without those.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have two 12 bolts from Moser, bought 15 yrs apart. Both spec'd the same, bolt in rears for my Monte Carlo and my Nova, 33 spline bolt in axles, detroit trutrac, and aluminum girdle cover. Uses stock brakes, they were $2600 a piece. I believe the trutrac alone was $450 extra, and the cover was another $150, so you would be closer to $2k if you went without those.
I like the Moser path because they have a complete ready to bolt in axle. However, their 12 bolt Muscle Pak comes to nearly 4k these days:

Moser is $2k with their economy brake kit, but still need assembly and center section:

Looks like gears and center add close to 1k from Moser.

The Quick Performance option is closer to $2400 with minor upgrades (11" disc brakes, useful brake updates, 3.70 gears) but I can't tell if it is ready to bolt in or some assembly required, but even with assembly required, it's an attractive price:

I thought Dutchman had a similar package, but I can't find one specific to the 62 Chevy II.

I'll let you know what I decide. I'd better do it soon, some of these are 4+ weeks out!

montemike79

Well Known Member
Buy one that you use your stock brakes. Mine both came bare metal that I had to paint, and install the axles after bolting the brakes on. I just bought the one for the Nova in 2019, but prices may have gone up now with inflation and everything else.

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Mark Williams, shop labor code 999, narrow housing or realign housing ends, $325! :D:D:D Now I'm just talking s--t. Last post I promise.

I don't blame you at all for wanting a rear thats bolt in and go, needs nothing. Time is valuable. Bottom line, will you ever break a moser 12-bolt or a QP 9 inch with street tires? Nope. I agree with the above, use stock brakes if you can, but those 8" or 9" whatever they are 4-lug brakes are no go for anything else. Might as well buy one drum to drum like you had planned.

montemike79

Well Known Member
Maybe you could use stock brakes from a later Nova. The backing plates are reproduced now and you can buy all the new hardware, it would be cheaper than a new brake kit from somewhere else. The stock 9" drums on my Nova and Monte work just fine. The Monte has been mid-low 11's.