Moulding Caulk

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Guys

Just took the molding off my 63. The moulding that goes along the roof line has some kind of never hardening caulk or something. At least in 40 plus years it hasn't hardened.

Anybody have an idea what this caulk is and if there is a replacement for it.

Thanks in Advance
Ed

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
I use 3M strip caulk in black. It's available at auto body supply stores. The original was probably grey.

bobs409

Administrator
There might be an auto product available that duplicates that but I found that strip caulking found in hardware stores is basically the same stuff. It would be found near the home weather sealing products like window film, etc in stores but at this time of year, it might be harder to find. I have seen it in Walmart but they may not have those items out now until fall.

This is an off white color caulking that is on a small roll with about 5 beads in width. You can roll it and shape it and it doesn't harden, stays pliable.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Rope caulk

I think that "rope caulk" that Bob mentions might dry up over time. I use it on my old windows and noted that after a very long time (been here for 22 years) it does tend to harden. I went to my local GM dealer and asked for "dum-dum" (that's what some guys call the original gray stuff) and they knew what I was talking about. I'm guessing the 3M product is similar, maybe better?

Good luck!

TomK

bobs409

Administrator
I use the 3-M strip caulk for some things but it's alot different. It's black and gets gooey in heat. I once used some of this on my 69 stepside door mirrors, the part where the arm bolts onto the door. After washing it and rain, it left streaks running down the door. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend it behind moldings.

Tom may be right on what he said about the product I mentioned. If possible, get the auto type stuff to be on the safe side.

Bob