My "NEW" Z-11 Valve Covers

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I could not use the original valve covers with the drippers on the Z-11 build that McQuillen is doing for me. The roller cam system will hit the drippers without modifications and I ain't messing with the originals.
I purchased the raw steel units from ShowCars and used the original as the pattern. Real pleased with the end result. A little softening of the corners, paint and put'em on! :winner

IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0751 (1).jpg IMG_0754.jpg IMG_0752.jpg IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0751 (1).jpg IMG_0754.jpg IMG_0752.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
These might help.

8416.jpg

I think Carl Bucks had some made up. Not sure if he has any now though.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Dick,
BSL409 is pulling everybody's leg. Absolutely no 750 lift cam (hell, do they even make'em?)
We are sure the valve covers that I made without drippers will fit fine. The original Z-11 push rod guide plates had been rounded long ago to fit non -Z valve covers.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Yo Jack Wagon........how ya going to clean them for painting?????????????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

FYI.........the rubber on the spark plug looms was put on after the valve covers were painted.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The raw steel valve covers from Show Cars comes with an oily residue all over them. AND,..... Mr. Reed, with the spark plug looms were already dipped!!!

At any rate, here's how I cleaned them for painting!!!:D:D

IMG_0759 (2).jpg

And yes Phil, that is our dishwasher! Fast cycle with "no spot" detergent.:taunt

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOW! I would never get away with that. That oil has to get everywhere....I would be careful eating off plates that have been cleaned in there. Can you sanitize that thing really good after cleaning parts in it?

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Could also use disc brake cleaner.
how do you tell the good brake cleaner from the bad. last can i got a couple of years ago did not seem
like the old stuff. someone told me they had to change the formula because the epa. jim

blkss64

Well Known Member
Yes the EPA has forced changes to all kinds of automotive chemicals. Not pushing any brand but I use 3M brake cleaner. It cleans well
and does not leave a residue. It also does not smell as bad as most other brands I have used. It works for me.

Jon

409envy

Well Known Member
I think the main ingredient was Chlorinated Solvents like TCE/TCA... nasty stuff but it works!