New guy building a hot rod with a 409, hopefully the resto guys won't kick me out!

I am new to the site. I have been reading a little bit but don't know all the rules so please forgive me if I don't do things right for awhile.

I live in the middle of Kansas and build cars for a living. Restoration, hot rods, street rods, restomods, ect...

Own a few cars but the w motor will be for my "wife's car", just another way of saying it was the only way to get another car project. Ha Ha It is a Henry Ford steel 1934 roadster.

It will be a 1964ish drag race style car. I have most of the parts I need but still am looking for a couple of key pieces. I have a NOS Grant flamethrower, a Micky Thompson cross ram, Ansen cast scattershield, ect...need 690 heads, hearst ram rod shifter ect.... all of this is going on a 348 stroker that will be 437 cubes.

I also own some other cars, 69 GT350, 34 Ford pickup, 30 Model a roadster with wicked 455 olds.

Don't know if web sites are allowed??? I have one that shows alot of the work we do out here in Kansas.

I am a Ford guy by birth (ha ha) but have grown to love almost all cars pre 72.

Just wanted to let you guys know a little about me and give a thanks to all who have posted info on this site, it has already been a great resource for me.

Mike Keller

Is that the original 221 V8 in it ? ... I mean even with the aluminum heads ?:eek

I'm a 409 guy. Maybe JMHO... but converting THAT car is incomprehensable:hide.

SURELY there's a less original/complete car that you can start with:dunno

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome aboard Mike,

Great knowledge and a bunch of great guys. They helped me tremendously.

re your Roadster, looks great, is it a 33 or very very early 34 ?

I have a couple of the opposition products, 38 Club Coupe and 33 B Model 5 window.

cheers

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Mike! If your car has a "W" block in it it's welcome. In fact we often discuss a cars that aren't "W" powered. LOL

Is that the original 221 V8 in it ? ... I mean even with the aluminum heads ?:eek

I'm a 409 guy. Maybe JMHO... but converting THAT car is incomprehensable:hide.

SURELY there's a less original/complete car that you can start with:dunno

It was a pieced together car, none of the chassis is original to this body, none of the body parts(doors, decklid, fenders, floorpan....

It is sitting on a chassis from a 34 five window that is getting a 331 hemi and a four speed! (customers car)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Mike!!
What part of Kansas???? I was born and raised in Emporia.
I have alot of 409 parts in Kansas City!!!!
You've come to the right place!!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Mike. As you may already know, there are a great bunch here and lots of info on the "W" engine. :hugPlease send lots of pics of your project because some of us can not read !!! I see Phil has already beamed in on you:deal ENJOY THE RIDE.

Butch:crazy:cheers

Welcome aboard Mike,

Great knowledge and a bunch of great guys. They helped me tremendously.

re your Roadster, looks great, is it a 33 or very very early 34 ?

I have a couple of the opposition products, 38 Club Coupe and 33 B Model 5 window.

cheers

34 I believe, it has smooth fender wells

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Mike,

32 had swages in rear inner fenders, 33 and some early 34's had no swages and most 34 through to 40 again had swages.

The swages reduced the incidence of the metal cracking and splitting over rough terrain.

cheers

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Mike, Looks like you know what your doing....:deal Great group of guys here and we always like to see the W transplanted into cool stuff....:clap

Hi Mike,

32 had swages in rear inner fenders, 33 and some early 34's had no swages and most 34 through to 40 again had swages.

The swages reduced the incidence of the metal cracking and splitting over rough terrain.

cheers

It has notches in cowl for hood and double bead is interupted on cowl by screw holes. Might be at the change over time, either way, I think I will build it as a 34, wait maybe a 33! Ha Ha