New kid on the block

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hello everyone....... I'm Chevy Man !! My name is Ken and I live just south of St. Louis. I have kinda "lurked" around here for some time and am very impressed with the vast amount of knowledge here and how well you all seem to get along. I recently bought a pair of 409 manifolds from one of your members (Donnie Shanz jr) and was very impressed with the quality of the manifolds and how he conducted himself through this purchase. I grew up in the 50s and 60s working in a local chevy dealership and washed all those nice 57s to 60s going to high school. (they wouldn't let me drive em though!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Anyway I started full time in the parts dept in 1963 and worked my way to service manager until I finally gave it up in the late 70s after working in 4 dealerships !!! Thats about all the nerves can stand !!!! ( 2 years of those days was with the army). I bought a new 62 "409" and later bought a 63 '409" so my experience with these go way back, although I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as most all of you. .................I've been in the old car hobby most all my life and have owned a bunch of them. I'm currently building a black 63 impala with black interior and black vinyl roof, bench seat 340 horse 4 speed. I hope to get it done later in 2009.I also have a 57 Inca Silver belair 2 door HT and a 50 chevy streetrod pickup.................... Thank you for allowing me to join you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ken, Welcome to the nut house! Sounds like a nice ride you are building. We love pictures so get that camera out and get us to speed. Whats the street rod running for drive train? Glad to have you aboard........:)

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I'm running a "327" and powerglide in the little red truck with a posi out of a camaro. Runs pretty good, but not an extreme fender shaker........................I'll work on the pictures but I'm not the Sharpest knife in the drawer on the computer end !!!!!!! Thanks for the welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wellcome aboard Ken:beerbang sounds like you have a lot of great prodject and cars there. Like the other guys have said we like pic's and stories. So try the best you can. I'll be posting pic's of my 1951 Chevy/348 project soon I hope ,maybe after the holiday nuttyness is over:cheers. Also Ken

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome!

Welcome aboard, glad you decided to join in. I live not far away in Columbia, MO and if you ever want to see a few 409 cars and are in the vicinity, plan on stopping by. If the weather's good, we'll fire one of the beasts up :).

Cheers!

TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
If the weather's good, we'll fire one of the beasts up :).

Cheers!

TomK

Then have Tom drive you to KC and stop by the shop!!!!!!!!! We have a 25 cent tour. The last guy got a Bud Light and 17 cents change!!!:brow:brow:cheers:cheers

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Phil.....Thanks for the welcome.............I was up close to you a couple weeks ago picking up a wrecked 63 Impala. (out by whiteman AF base?).It was a nice 63, but hit VERY hard in the right pass door. Still a lot of parts.......................The next time I'm going to be your area I'll email or call before hand and maybe if your not too busy I'll drop by....................... BUD LIGHT ??????????.........Just my brand.............Thanks again........Ken

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site. So you bought a 62 409 brand new? WOW! What model, horsepower and color was it. St. Louis really had a lot of 409's in the area back in the day. My father raced them here in St. Louis at Alton Dragway back then. Hey, where you at in Missouri? We're probably pretty close to each other because I'm down in Herculaneum, Mo. Oh yeah, if you get the chance, make sure you make it in to Phil Reed's shop in Kansas City. I've been there a couple of times a long time ago and it's really a neat shop.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Ken, welcome to the zoo........ I can't believe you actually got that '63 out from under Phil's nose:roll:roll......... it must have been when he was busy cleaning out Texas.

Dave

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome to the site. So you bought a 62 409 brand new? WOW! What model, horsepower and color was it. St. Louis really had a lot of 409's in the area back in the day. My father raced them here in St. Louis at Alton Dragway back then. Hey, where you at in Missouri? We're probably pretty close to each other because I'm down in Herculaneum, Mo. Oh yeah, if you get the chance, make sure you make it in to Phil Reed's shop in Kansas City. I've been there a couple of times a long time ago and it's really a neat shop.
Thanks Mark ........... I bought a new Impala coupe with the "409" and 409 horse. It was Honduras maroon with the Fawn interior ( I was just a KID and didn't realize what I had !!!). Back those days they were just a HOT car and a lot of them were destroyed, Including mine. (totaled it). I'm down at Bonne Terre. I've been in the construction business for close to 28 years and have done a lot of building in your area and south St. Louis area. I've framed a lot of homes for Laiben homes, Bauman homes, Belew builders and many in between. I ran at Alton a few times back those days and also Pacific Mo. St. Gen---Malden Mo. and Paragould Ak. I never set any world records by any means, but it was sure fun !!!!! I,ve ran the cruises around your area. You may have saw some of my cars. I had a Turquoise 57 chev conv and a Inca silver hardtop. I'd love to see Phil Reed's shop!!!!!!!!! (He's kinda famous in that area so i've heard). Thanks.......Ken

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hey Ken, welcome to the zoo........ I can't believe you actually got that '63 out from under Phil's nose:roll:roll......... it must have been when he was busy cleaning out Texas.

Dave
I must have caught Phil "snoozing" that day or he looked at it and didn't want it. I have that 63 here and have gotten a lot of parts from it. I also bought a 63 hardtop up at Camdenton Mo. last fall. It was on ebay as a parts car and I bought it for $480. When I got up there to pick it up I couldn't beleive it. "0" rust everywhere but the bottom of the trunk pan, so I'm building it !!!! It was just what I've been looking for. If I live long enough, I'll get it done !!!!!!!!!!!!.................Ken

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome aboard a 340 hp 4 spd nice for sure. For sure a nice group of people. I hear that some of them are obssevive or something like that.:brow Again welcome John

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome aboard a 340 hp 4 spd nice for sure. For sure a nice group of people. I hear that some of them are obssevive or something like that.:brow Again welcome John

John: Thank you for the welcome..............This sure seems like a great place to be!!!!!!!!!!!!.............Ken

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
chevy man

I love your new 62 combonation. Mine right now is a 62 SS 409 4 speed honduras maroon with a fawn interior. Wish I could have had one brand new.It was a 380 horse originally , but now has a stroker 409 in it.Got any pictures of it? I would love to see a couple of vintage pictures.