NHRA Hot Rod Reunion

mr409guy

Well Known Member
Sherry said they confirm by email. If you paid you can pick up your credentials at the gate. Get your money in because they are giving us limited pit space according to our registration

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
T-SHIRTS
I will place the print order next Monday 5-2. I have 133 confirmed orders which is a very good participation. If you still want to order, you are welcome. I will have extra shirts printed for the Group and spectators. Thanks for a great response.
Regards, Mark

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
It has been mentioned that tech was really going to be difficult. All the 409 events that I have attended didn't really do a very difficult tech. I don't think I will have any problems but want to check on a few items if any has any info. I reviewed the NHRA rule book & it really didn't help too much. I run slicks & car usually runs in the 11.70's.

I have installed a driveshaft loop so no problem there.
Seat belts: I have standard lap seat belts installed in the car. Will these be OK or will I need something better.
Wheel lugs. I have the original wheel lugs on my rear wheels. I noticed that a lot of vehicles have the extended lugs. Should I have them installed to be on the safe side?
Do we need to have a permanent type number placed on our windows. It mentioned no shoe polish #'s acceptable. I don't have a permanent #.

Thanks for your help.

Joel

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm pretty sure standard seat belts are fine for a car running 11.50 or slower. (somebody will correct me if I'm wrong about that)

Shoe polish is fine for your numbers.

The main issue with regular wheel lugs is there should a little bit of thread showing past the nut. This isn't a problem with factory style steel wheels but with thick aluminum wheels the stud can sometimes be too short.
Here's a picture that describes how long your studs have to be with aluminum wheels...

z.jpg

For the benefit of others I'll add that an overflow catch can for the rad is a must. They almost always look for that.
Another thing they often look for is dual throttle return springs.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Thanks, that helps. I have standard wheels & the thread comes out to the end of the nut. So I should be okay. Have an overflow catch can dual throttle return springs. Thanks again.

Joel

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Around 13.0 in the 1/4. I do not have a driveshaft loop nor do I intend to install one on my show car frame. I do have steel wheels on my studs, but the slicks are not very big (spins alot) -no line lock.
So can I run my slicks ? I have the catch can, and seat belts.

What does the dual spring look like ? both carbs ? What do I buy ?
I do not have dual springs -one per carb.
Paul

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Around 13.0 in the 1/4. I do not have a driveshaft loop nor do I intend to install one on my show car frame. I do have steel wheels on my studs, but the slicks are not very big (spins alot) -no line lock.
So can I run my slicks ? I have the catch can, and seat belts.

What does the dual spring look like ? both carbs ? What do I buy ?
I do not have dual springs -one per carb.
Paul
I have always heard that the X frame cars with the two piece driveshaft never needed the driveshaft loop. Tell me where I'm going wrong? Autozone has the dual spring, Spectre I think is the brand. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...google&utm_campaign=gpla&utm_content=22905375

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Most dual throttle spring setups look like this...

z.jpg

I think the dual quad 409's came out of the factory with dual throttle springs on both carbs.

To be 100% legal, I don't think the X frame quite qualifies as a driveshaft loop. They might not bother you but I think the loop is supposed to be within 6" of the front U joint. The center of the X frame is too far back to meet that criteria. (although the U joint on a transmission with a longer tailshaft like a 700r4 would be farther back, so it might be OK)
zzzz.jpg

The rule states that any car quicker than 13.99 needs a loop if you're running slicks.
zzzz.jpg
A tech guy looking at an X frame car might decide that the center of the X frame is a plenty good loop, even if it is just a little farther back than it should be.
There's also a very good chance he won't even ask about it, but you never know for sure.
The safest bet might be to go through tech with your street tires on and just install the slicks later. :dunno2

If you do decide to install one, they're not very expensive and they're pretty easy to install. I think most guys just don't like drilling holes in the frame. :irk

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Most dual throttle spring setups look like this...

View attachment 44991

I think the dual quad 409's came out of the factory with dual throttle springs on both carbs.

To be 100% legal, I don't think the X frame quite qualifies as a driveshaft loop. They might not bother you but I think the loop is supposed to be within 6" of the front U joint. The center of the X frame is too far back to meet that criteria. (although the U joint on a transmission with a longer tailshaft like a 700r4 would be farther back, so it might be OK)
View attachment 44995

The rule states that any car quicker than 13.99 needs a loop if you're running slicks.
View attachment 44993
A tech guy looking at an X frame car might decide that the center of the X frame is a plenty good loop, even if it is just a little farther back than it should be.
There's also a very good chance he won't even ask about it, but you never know for sure.
The safest bet might be to go through tech with your street tires on and just install the slicks later. :dunno2

If you do decide to install one, they're not very expensive and they're pretty easy to install. I think most guys just don't like drilling holes in the frame. :irk
My slicks are DOT. I wonder if that matters? I'll look at my distance from the joint.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Great, just what I needed and what I thought I read on my slicks.
I did not know about the dual springs on my carbs (they are edelbrocks) with the original 2-4 brackets on the original 2-4 intake.

The original 62 409/409 carb linkage had only one spring per carb. Show cars sells their 2-4 linkage that way, and I am sure they did not do there linkage with the wrong springs.

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When it comes to the double springs all I can say is that it is easy for them to check. They have checked on both our cars and we have lent extra springs to other cars that were told to get them quite a few times.
As for the driveshaft loop, the rule book clearly states that the drive shaft loop must be within 6 inches of the front "U" joint on any car running 13.99 and quicker with slicks.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Change of subject...........Martin and anyone else................will be bringing the 63 in an enclosed trailer. Now....do the show cars have to register to race to get in the pits or will we be allowed to park close to our tent? Will we be able to put up a tent? Inquiring minds want to know!!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Is anyone from the west coast travelling to Kentucky for the Hot Rod Reunion with a trailer?
Just figuring if i can get a Belly Tank from an F86 (Tom K thread) back to the west coast for shipping to NZ, without losing my left Nut.
Happy to send gas money or what ever the rate may be

Steve

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Phil, what I saw last year (show car only) was park my open trailer in a lot across from the amusement park (it's a fenced in cow pasture, so watch your step), but then drove my 62 on the entrance road to a white building to show my credentials for the show car area. Then looked for the best parking space on the grass to set-up , inside the fenced in show area. Then went back (walked) to the golf cart rental. Parked my truck with the trailer each day, to go back-and-forth to the hotel. Since everything shuts down at 5 or 6pm
The show cars area was first come first park on the grass along the enclosed entrance road to the drag strip.
Was under the impression that only race cars that were tech inspected could park all other vehicles in the pit area.
There was a 2nd parking area for RV's next to the show car area & drag strip, that was outside the fenced area that I have no idea how that works.

Dave

Sorry, Steve I'm coming & going northeast.

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Change of subject...........Martin and anyone else................will be bringing the 63 in an enclosed trailer. Now....do the show cars have to register to race to get in the pits or will we be allowed to park close to our tent? Will we be able to put up a tent? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Phil, you can park in someone's pit area as long as your car will fit in that pit. Racers are allowed one car for their pit crew. Just tell them you are pit crew with one of us.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
OK guys take a breath................First lets start with the RACERS........... you will be issued 2 passes you must keep visible in the window or dash,......wherever, but you must have that pass in your car or truck or they will not let your vehicle thru, they have check points every 100 yards checking this and they are crazy about it.... THEY WILL CHECK THIS!!!!!!I will be there Wednesday to get our parking area ready so let me know if you are coming so I can rope off a big enough area.........remember I'm talking about Racers only right now, after you go thru tech, you will get 1 pass to put on your golf cart, just stick it under the clip where you keep your golf scorecard, but keep it with the cart at all times. if you do this you will be ok........so now..... one vehicle pass for the tow vehicle and one pass to keep in the car you drive back and forth to the track, one pass for your golf cart, and , you will have a wrist band they want you to wear the whole weekend, now I need your profile so I can put them all together nice and neat in a notebook for the tower, so as soon as you get me that info I can complete this, thank you ahead of time...............

Full name
Where you are from
Make, Model, and color of the car
Engine size......... if you want to make details public about engine feel free to do so
Transmission
I will add a Notes section so you can feel free to tell something interesting about you or your car or both, If you could get this info to me as soon as possible I will get this put together............. PM the information Thanks in advance for your help

also if you don't mind, take a picture of your car with a regular camera and bring the picture with you to the race give it to me to put with your information

Martin

SHOW CARS...........if you get your pre-entry sent in, in time they will send you tickets for the whole weekend, for two people, plus a ticket for a grab bag, they have a special place to park your tow vehicle if you have one and yes if you get there late your tow vehicle will probably have to be parked in the cow pasture, just watch your step............I will try and see if I can get the show cars parked together, but I will have to check on this Wednesday (June 15) when I get there.

Spectators.........when you get thru the gate call me or someone you know that has a golf cart and we will come and get you, there will be no problem hanging out in the pits with all of us, but no car or golf cart will be allowed without a pass.

any questions pm me and I will try and answer it or find out for you, so relax and have fun, I can not wait to see all of you at the track

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Steve, I know what a Beer Belly is, and a drunk Tank, but not sure about a Belly Tank? How big is it? Im coming from Seattle Wa. with enclosed trailer.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve, I know what a Beer Belly is, and a drunk Tank, but not sure about a Belly Tank? How big is it? Im coming from Seattle Wa. with enclosed trailer.
Hi Stan.
It is a drop tank from an F86 Sabre jet fighter. 13 foot long alloy cylinder and it is sliced in two.
Will try to attach the image from Tom K's thread.

Steve