oil additives cams

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just have a little more info to add on oil and additives,,,

Bear with me here,, it`s a lot of info to digest,,,
I find that if I simply smoke a little more, the puzzle becomes clear. I did have to ingest even more smoke than ever before in order for this puzzle to become clear, but perhaps I can expound upon the solution.

You see, multi-viscosity oils do not actually get thicker or thinner....they simply maintain their viscosity across a wide latitude of temperature ranges. These lubes use polymers to accomplish this. A strand-like implant of resorbable polymer material is substantially formed as a random copolymer of L-lactide and glycolide, which are present in a composition in a range of more than 80 mole % lactide and less than 20 mole % glycolide to 95 mole % lactide and 5 mole % glycolide, particularly in a ratio of 90:10,and has in the textile structure a tensile strength of more than 200 N/mm.sup.2.
The zero shear viscosity of these bimodal, charge stabilized polymer latices was studied at different salt concentrations. In contrast to hard sphere colloidal suspensions, no minimum in viscosity was found as a function of the mixing ratio of small and large particles.
Instead the viscosity increased when the fraction of small particles increased, which is due to the direct Coulomb interaction. In order to compare the results with data from hard sphere systems, we used an effective volume fraction eff.
The experimentally determined volume fraction at the divergence of the zero shear viscosity is compared with the hard sphere value in order to define eff. The effective volume of the particles was then used to calculate the effective volume fraction of the binary mixtures containing small and large particles. When using eff, a minimum of the viscosity was found at a composition of ~30% of small particles similar to the behavior of bimodal hard-sphere suspensions.
The volume fraction at maximum packing could be calculated by theoretical models only at high concentration. The models underestimate the maximum volume fraction coeffient versus minimum friction.

I find it amazing that with a little more smoke the answer becomes so obvious it's pathetic that we couldn't see it earlier. I hope that clears it up for you.,,dq

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
oil additives

I remember this very discussion in my 7th grade auto mechanic class.:roll :roll :roll

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s