Parts counter Guy

6064ELNO

I went up to the local Checkers the other day to have my starter checked, having already replaced the selenoid and still having problems I wanted to have it bench tested( couldn't be bench tested not supported by the tester ). I tell the guy that is for a 1960 Elcamino w/348 and he gives me a blank stare :? . The other guy next to him says" you know 283 327 348" :dunno and I said no a 348 is a big block motor. Then he says oh like a 396 :doh . While the first guy checks computer I said you won't find it in there, so he gets out the book from under the counter and starts looking under Elcamino . He's still looking at BB 396 he brings out a starter and of course the mounts are different. He says nope can't help you, I grabbed the book and looked it up under 1960 Impala since Elcaminos were only produced in 59, 60 and sure enough I came up with a part number., of course they were out. I had to go to another Checkers down the road. When I asked the next Parts guy about it and he bench tests it for me and everything is fine. Turned out to be the battery wasn't holding enough charge. I got that replaced under warrenty. Where do tthese guys come from???

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LOL same issue in Idaho! Must be since the parts are older than them and it's not some big nasty pipe hanging out a Honda they have no clue as to what it is!
I get tired of being asked whether my 65 Chevy C10 with a 70 350HP/350 has air conditioning. My smart *** reply is "Ya with the windows down and at 75 it works quite nice!"
Next time put a type R sticker on the starter that'll keep em digging :)

Parts People

Being a Heavy Duty mechanic, my worst bane (as I'm sure other mechanics will agree) is parts people. From being inept at following or making a description over the phone to simply not returning promised calls and technical ignorance, they can be my worst nightmare! I think they're often untrained, uninterested or not paid enough. In my case, the one change I'd like to make is have them accountable - that might wake them up! I must say things at Peterbilt are improving.

bobs409

Administrator
The chain type auto parts stores always hire young inexperienced guys because they don't pay that much. Someone with alot of know how isn't the type that will apply in a store. These young guys are the "you want fries with that" type. :D

You can't expect any parts counter guy to know all cars and engines so I can understand some not knowing what a 348 is. Heck, I don't know a thing about newer cars. :? (maybe I should go work at one and screw with the ricers when they ask for parts) Customer: I need a radiator hose for an 84 Honda? Bob: They didn't make Honda's in 84 did they, only Toyota's. hee hee :D

The ones that don't know common automotive stuff such as an angle boot spark plug wire from a straight one....they are the ones that shouldn't be working in an autoparts store. That exact thing happened to me. I had a young guy get me a set of plug wires and he did with no problem using the computer and finding them but then I asked him if they were angle boot or straight because I have headers and he opened the box, pulled out a handful of "angled boot" wires and said, "no, they're straight boot". :doh :dunno :roll

So, as long as they have some common sense and know the basic automotive field, and can operate the computer and "read" a book, I see no harm in learning as they go on the rest. Problem is, most will not stay anyway and it just starts all over again.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I worked in a machine shop in the back of an auto parts store for about three years, here's the bottom line guys, they aint paid sh*t. they're hounded by managment to try to sell the customer items they dont ask for (hose clamps and antifreeze to go with that rad hose) the part I liked best was the price schedule. price # 1 doe dick that walks in the door never seen before (highest price) price # 2 regular customer (medium price) price # 3 dealer ( lowest price)
when I started working there in 1996 a counterman (as they like to call them) told be he had been with the company for 7 years was top salesman 3 out of the last 5 and wasent makeing 7 bucks an hour yet. go figure.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
yes!

Being a Heavy Duty mechanic, my worst bane (as I'm sure other mechanics will agree) is parts people.

Ah...another HD tech......! Right on there! I deal mainly with Navistar (the experienced guys work days, the young dummy works nights) and it gets tough getting parts after 4 PM. Another problem is the local Mack/Volvo dealer. Ever try to get one of the Mack guys help you order a hood latch for a VNL? Sucks big time. Plus now the company I work for has two different vendor numbers for the Mack/Volvo dealer. Real PITA! And Freightliner? I issue more debit memos than purchase orders to them! ARGH!

:cool:

unworthy

At least the 348 is an oddball motor, as well as a 409, 366, even a 302 sb, you can kind of understand them not knowing. What kills me is when you say, for instance " I need some valve cover gaskets for a small bolck chevy" now over the years I've learned that is WAAAAY to difficult for them, so now I've narrowed that statement "I need some valve cover gaskets for a '72 350 chevy" even though it may be a set of aftermarket heads on a 400 :dunno doesn't matter, just give me the set of gaskets. Even with a year and size you still get "what kind of car" :doh '67 Nova...."I thought you said '72 :doh OK, I meant '67....."2 or 4 door" :? 2.....doesn't show a '67 Nova with a 350 :mad:

On the funny side though, I once went through the gammet of questions with somebody...make, chevy...year, 67....model, Nova....2 or 4 door....2....hardtop or coupe.....hardtop, I replied, looking like this :? the guy looks at me like this :love and says I just asked the last two cause I wanted to know. I thought it was pretty funny, a counter guy who actually knew what one was.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Parts guys

So I'm driving up the street the other day and notice a 'new' parts place with a huge AC Delco sign in the window.
This is neat because just about every decent parts store has moved out of our area because there is mostly ricers here and they don't fix their own stuff.

So I go into the store and a young kid (no old guys around) asks if he can help me.

"Do you have a rebuild kit for a 63 Rochester 2bbl?"
"What's that?" :rolleyes:
"A 2bbl on a 63 283."
"V6?"
"No, 283 Chev."
"What's that?"
"63 283 Chev V8."

Blank stare........I don't think so.

Iasked if they carried any rebuild kits for carburetors.........yup...you guessed it.
"What's that?

I left and haven't been back.......and just can't figure what that AC Delco sign in their window is for.

"What's that" :dunno

BJ

bobs409

Administrator
I'll tell you what that is, that's "SAD." :cry :rolleyes:

Someone like that does not belong behind the counter of an auto parts store. Like I said above, know one knows everything or should be expected to but anyone that works in a store such as this should have a general idea of auto parts. :takethat

Have carburetors been gone that long? Maybe if you said fuel injection the kid would have known??? Bahhh, I'll keep my carbs thank you very much. :D

60convert

Well Known Member
parts store

I am lucky enough that in jordan theres a napa and they guys there are pretty good when i ask for weird stuff he always askes what I am building, and if i ask for small block v/c gaskets he actually knows that all you have to do is punch in an older car with a small block in it. My best ever was when I ordered 4 tires from good year for a roundy round car. a 205.75 r15, 215.75r15, 225.75r15 and a 235. 75r15. they were a discontinued tire so i had to pay first as they had to get the tires from a different store, and when i picked them up the guys were all looking at me funny asking what in the world I was gonna do with 4 tires all different sizes. Told them it was for a circle track car and they still looked at me funny.
Jesse

T0123QG

Parts

:( Hey, Everbody, For My First Post I Might As Well Put In Two Cents
On This Topic. I Was In The Auto Parts Business For 21 Years At A Store
That Was The Largest Volume Single Store In The Kc Area, In Olathe Ks.
Up Until About 1992-94 The Parts Business Was Pretty Good. What I Would Call Big Business Got Into The Act By Essentially Eliminating The
Independent Stores Ability To Maintain Profits. The Store I Was At Was Bought By Carquest In 1996. Anyway, Knowlegable People Who Had Been In The Business Left In Droves For Better Jobs. There Are A Few Old
Time Parts Guys Left. What Used To Be A Good Paying Job That Was Well
Respected Was Turned Into A Very Low Pay And High Turnover Job. Thats
The Way The Chains Want It. They Don't Pay Anybody Except The Managers.
Its A Little Hard For Me To Go Into A Parts Store And See How Wrong Somethings Are. I Don't Say Anything, I Know What Its Like. However,
Years Ago, You Had To Be Very Good To Even Get Hired. Not Anymore. For Our Old Chevys, Many Parts Are Still Available At Carquest And There Good Quality. You Have To Find Someone Willing To Work With You. No,
I Dont Work For Them Anymore, I Have A Good Job Now. Yes, I Know Phil Reed And Have Bought Many Items From Him, Its Great Having Him In Kc.

A Glimmer of Hope

Sorry to go slightly off topic here.. Bob brought something to mind when he said this is "sad".
Over the past year, I have had the most AMAZING experiences with employees in my shop. Young and old, they have a few differences, and a few things in common.
Generally, the older guys, know cars... at least what the parts are. Young people ? As a rule... not a #%$&ING clue. I had a 19 year old fellow in th shop for 5 months. One time I had him in my engine room... He was disassembling a 348 short block, and puting the parts in a box. I happened to walk by and looked in the box. I stopped and said, "oh, Rob, don't worry about those lifters... you can just toss 'em".
He stood there, staring into the box... dumbfounded. Had NO IDEA what a lifter was.

On the other hand, I have a 21 year old guy with me now... Dave is his name. Never really worked on a car before ( there is no even half qualified help in this town ). His grandparents bought some basic tools, and he showed up for work.
Ya' just never know...
This guy is a nutaural ! Natural ability to understand the mechanics... natural ability with tools. Better than ANY school boy mechanic !
The down side ?
Well, that brings me to what all these people seem to have in common...

A BUNCH OF DOPE SMOKING POT HEADS. And when there not taking in illegal control substances, they're smoking cigarettes at a pace that may one day be cause for this particular activity to become an Olympic event.

SOMEONE put me out of my misery :help :( ;)

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
Maybe I should pack up my stuff and come and work for you CPG.
Oh wait that wouldn't work, my wife would kick me out when I came home with 409 parts instead of a paycheck.
Shane

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not to generalize, but

When I went about looking for someone to either paint or work with me in painting my car (I should say"let me work with them!") I found a similar thread in all of them: painters in my area all seem to be heavy drinkers and smokers. I just saw them smoke cigarettes, but who knows? You would think with all the fumes and noxious odors a painter is around, smoking would be something they stay away from? On the other hand, smoking is probably less toxic than painting, unless you have a full body suit and external air source.

The fella who ended up getting the job was one who was willing to let me "interfere" and I ended up being The Apprentice, which was both rewarding and educational. I now have more respect for the details behind painting a vehicle correctly (not as in "production painting" as we have been fussing with this since Christmas). He's a retired (but slightly younger than I) policeman, and while he does smoke (tobacco) it doesn't bother me much.

None of the mechanic buddies I hang with are smokers (one is an ex-) but a few at the machine shop are (the one dope smoker isn't allowed to touch my stuff -- can you imagine him screwing with a pair of 690s?).

I figure it's their choice, and hey, I'm not their boss, so they can do what they want, within legal grounds. Aubrey, if you want to hire some real interesting people, you should see the younger programmers I work with. Lots of "facial jewelry", body art, and multi-colored hair. And that's the males. But they are VERY talented at what they do...

Cheers!
TomK

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Working men.

Aubrey, How would you like to take your pick from the ranks of W heads in this club for your dream garage? :brow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
Aubrey, How would you like to take your pick from the ranks of W heads in this club for your dream garage? :brow

Heeee Heeee !!! Aubrey HAS the dream shop,,,,,,, he needs the dream team from this site !!!

Fatride,,, wouldn`t that be something !!!!!!??? WOW !

fatride said:

It would be a privilage, Fat :bow ... Nobody here is THAT silly though :help

Shane, you have been neglegent in your duties. One would think that by this time, you would have your wife up to speed on the latest values of good 409 parts.

Tom... You mention the drinking. I didn't bother to include that in my "whine-fest"... I figured it was something that we all knew anyway :rolleyes:
I'll take ear rings and dyed hair anytime :p

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
I too, was a counter guy

I've read these posts and I have to reply. My first real job was at a Whitlock store (part of a big chain) here in Milwaukee from 1981 - 84. Like TO123QG said they only paid the managers. We made next to nothing. One thing we had in common with the managers is that we all knew next to nothing. They hired the prettiest h.s. cheerleaders to work the registers. On weekends we kept the customers happy and made the company a fortune. Then we felt lucky to win a Whitlock Auto Supply jacket at the Christmas party.

Anyway, we put a lot of the real parts houses out of business, which is sad but no different than any other retail industry in the modern economy (groceries, dept. stores, gas stations...).

The chains probably have or can easily get 99% of the most popular parts for cars going back 15 years or so. For the volume they do it isn't worth their trouble to worry about parts for older cars, especially when there are people out there who specialize in those parts. If a customer came into Whitlock in 1981 looking for parts for a 40 year old car, I'd be thinking "Give me a break."

By the way, I wish I would have stocked up on some stuff back then.

indyjps

parts store guys

the only time i go to autozone or chain stores is when i can pick up what i need without going to the counter, anytime i do its painful for me. if i need something that requires bieng looked up i find a napa, yes they will have to order it in but ive located the indianapolis napa distribution center and i tell them just to place the order and ill go out and get it. it still took 3 days to get spark plugs for a small block drag car with world products heads in enough heat ranges that i could do some actual testing but it paid off.
if you need small block chevy stuff tell them its for a 74 pickup with a 350.
i have noticed the painter/drinker connection, i worked in a body shop in high school and routinely went on saturday "pick up the painters" tavern tours, even paid for spot paint work with beer. whatever works.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I have watched the decline in knowledge levels of the folks behind the counter at parts stores occur for years. I generally find that of the chains I have fewer problems at Napa and can usually get what I need.

Here is an interesting insight to this problem(?). When my 16 year old son took his first high school shop class, he was the only student out of 30+ that knew what any tools were beyond screwdrivers and pliers.

About 6 weeks in to the class the instructor was surprised to find out that Andrew didn't know how to weld, and asked him why his Dad hadn't taught him that :dunno . I have since corrected that deficiency :)

The point of all this is that kids are not learning to use tools from their fathers like us old timers did, and I find that many of my younger co-workers, even those in their 40s have virtually no tool usage skills.

I find that when hiring entry level technicians for decontamination and decommissioning work, that training is required to teach them how to use basic hand tools and hand power tools. I am getting people that have never even seen, let alone used a circular saw, sawzall, grinder, or in some cases, even a drill :doh

Whether you like Jesse James or not, at least he is trying to encourage young people to learn mechanical and fabricating schools as an alternative to the high tech route.

If you still have kids at home or even if there is neighbor kid that acts interested, put tools in there hands and show them how to use them and what they can do with them.