Penndot

bobs409

Administrator
I'm bummed. I've been working hard to get my 71 C20 ready for the road lately.

Finally, it's ready to go so I get an appointment for inspection on Monday, go and put it on my insurance policy and then go to get the plate.

You would think that would be no problem. Something I've been doing almost all my life but Penndot (Pa dept of transportation) has this new brilliant idea of removing title information from their computers for any vehicle that is not registered for 5 years and put it on micro film in the basement!

What that means is the notary cannot give me a plate right away like it's been for eon's but instead, I have to wait for the paperwork to go to Harrisburg, for some knucklehead there to process my registration, then for the plate to be mailed to back to the notary. I will then have to reschedule an inspection appointment. :cuss

So, I'll be sitting on my hands for at least 2 weeks (2 if I'm lucky that is!) until all this is over with.

I may be wrong but computers are designed to hold ALOT of information are they not? And transferring the info to micro film and filing it away in the basement sure sounds like alot more work than leaving things the way they always were. :bang

I bet some "high up" got a big fat raise for this idea.

Oh well, that's how my day went yesterday. Today HAS to be better doesn't it? :grumble:

Sure glad I didn't need the truck. It's just for pleasure but would hate to need it to get to a new job or something. :nono1:

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,you're just dealing with big goverment.They want control of everything,so guys like you and I and everyone on board has to depend on them and their services.IT's All about control!!! John

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Sorry to hear of your problem, Bob. One solution, move to MT. Records are kept "in the system" for 20 years and no inspections.
BUT the laws are getting tighter. As of '06, we have an "open container law". We can no longer have the patrolman hold the beverage while we look for our driver license.:roll:roll

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
It's bureaucratic BS. Most states have the same 5 year record system including Arizona, but there is no rational excuse for what they are doing in PA. I recently went down to transfer the title on the 51 GMC 5 window that I bought from the original owner. The title was issued in 1951 and was obviously out of the 5 year system. The clerk asked me if I wanted to keep the old title (after they punched a few holes in it) and printed me a new one in my name on the spot. The validity of the title wasn't challenged since it was properly issued and properly signed off and notarized. They probably verify it with the archived records later and I'm sure if they found anything out of order, they would come looking for me.
We still have some issues here, like the requirement for notarized signatures, but in most of my dealings with them they are pretty efficient.
:stooges

bobs409

Administrator
Sorry to hear of your problem, Bob. One solution, move to MT. Records are kept "in the system" for 20 years and no inspections.
BUT the laws are getting tighter. As of '06, we have an "open container law". We can no longer have the patrolman hold the beverage while we look for our driver license.:roll:roll

I can't move now, my garage is only a few years old! :D

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, The validity of the title wasn't challenged since it was properly issued and properly signed off and notarized. They probably verify it with the archived records later and I'm sure if they found anything out of order, they would come looking for me.

That makes sense to me. What risk is there? They photo copied my license, the title was already in my name as I had it changed when I bought it. If anything was found, they could contact me easy enough. What are they afraid of? :takethat

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That makes sense to me. What risk is there? They photo copied my license, the title was already in my name as I had it changed when I bought it. If anything was found, they could contact me easy enough. What are they afraid of? :takethat

You skating out on the fees? Seriously Bob don't move to MD with an old title or even a current one purchased out of state.
robert

bobs409

Administrator
Finally! I called the notary yesterday and my plate was in. She was "supposed" to call me but that's typical. :rolleyes:

Took it today for it's inspection. A few issues to work out like the timing (ran like a slug!) and the RF caliper is sticking. Other than that, the truck drove and rode great! Tight and no shakes or rattles.

Sure if fun to drive a clutch again. Out of 8 vehicles, I'm blessed with 7 automatics! :doh

Now, if it would stop raining I could work on it...