Power Steering Fluid Type

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
I rebuilt my power steering system, OEM pump etc...th cat says type A fluid..., I think its suppose to be the same as AT fluid Ive noticed Dextron II, and type FA and over the counter Power steering fluid.. anyone have a recommendation... I thought FA was Ford only...does it really make a differance?

bobs409

Administrator
I used the Dexron III with no problems in both the PS and transmission.

I actually found some Type A a few years ago in a Dollar General store for .75 cents a quart but haven't seen it since. I recall it was made by "Unilab". (generic stuff) :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would not use any of the Dexron or other red ATF or ps fluid other than the type A. I rebuilt my PS pump and valve/cylinder on the 58 Brookwood and filled it with modern ps fluid, It was fine for a couple of days and then started leaking out the rear can seal on the pump. Red stuff going all over the place. I took it apart cleaned everything and put in new seals again. By now the cylinder and valve developed a drip and soon the pump started leaking again. I talked to the oldtime partsguy at Napa and he told me the newer stuff was like water and would blow right by the seals in these older systems. The type A fluid is a little thicker kinda like 10 or 20wt engine oil and will seal better. I drained the system, refilled with type A available at Napa and have not had a problem since.:scratch

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,all i can say is i have a stock cyl. not rebuilt. a g.m type ll pump with a
remote tank and i'm using amsoil syn. A/T fluid. i was told this pump puts out more pressure then the old pump behind the gen. model.:dunno been using now for about 2 years and no leaks and the fluid temp. is running under 110 degs. this is in a 59 el camino.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
oldskydog said:
I would not use any of the Dexron or other red ATF or ps fluid other than the type A. I rebuilt my PS pump and valve/cylinder on the 58 Brookwood and filled it with modern ps fluid, It was fine for a couple of days and then started leaking out the rear can seal on the pump. Red stuff going all over the place. I took it apart cleaned everything and put in new seals again. By now the cylinder and valve developed a drip and soon the pump started leaking again. I talked to the oldtime partsguy at Napa and he told me the newer stuff was like water and would blow right by the seals in these older systems. The type A fluid is a little thicker kinda like 10 or 20wt engine oil and will seal better. I drained the system, refilled with type A available at Napa and have not had a problem since.:scratch

Shoot,, I`ve had that same problem! I`ll switch to the type A,,dq

bobs409

Administrator
I don't have that problem. I've since switched to manual steering! :D

These old PS systems are a pain. Not only leaks but I had persistant play where the link attaches to the control valve. (even after I rebuilt the dang thing!) I like my PS setup laying on the garage floor alot better. Now when it leaks, it doesn't bother me anymore. :roll