Power Steering Pumps

arkyduck

I have a 58 Impala with a 348 and it has the original style power steering. I switched to an alternator and mounted a new power steering pump on the block. Problem I have is it now steers so easy, it's like the wheels are off the ground. Also, the control vave is now leaking bad. Do block mounted pumps put out too much pressure for the old link type systems? Bought the pump from Late Great so I assumed they would know what pump was needed. Any help would be appreciated.

arkyduck

P.S. Control valve

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info but this is the second new control valve that this has happened to. The first one was replaced in warranty by Late Great but the second one will not because they sold out to Ecklers.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

arkyduck

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the pump pressure. The steering was easy with both valves. With a little research, I found out the pumps used in cars with the 605 box put out 1300 PSI and the original pumps used in cars with the link type system put out 750 PSI.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would see if you can get the correct Pressure Flow Valve and Spring .They are real easy to change,remove the H/P line from the pump and then remove the fitting that screws into the pump and valve and spring will pop right out.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
arkyduck said:
Yeah, I'm guessing it's the pump pressure. The steering was easy with both valves. With a little research, I found out the pumps used in cars with the 605 box put out 1300 PSI and the original pumps used in cars with the link type system put out 750 PSI.

The 1,300 psi is to much pressure for the P/S Control Valve and that is why the valve is leaking.You need to re-seal the valve and install the proper pump.

arkyduck

I found an old pump from a 63, 6 cyl. car. I'm going to try your suggestion and change the pressure/flow control valve in my pump. I ordered the rebuild kit for the steering control valve yesterday. I'll post the results of these changes next week. Thanks again for your help Jim.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
arkyduck said:
I found an old pump from a 63, 6 cyl. car. I'm going to try your suggestion and change the pressure/flow control valve in my pump. I ordered the rebuild kit for the steering control valve yesterday. I'll post the results of these changes next week. Thanks again for your help Jim.

In 63 was the control valve mounted on your steering linkage ?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
arkyduck said:
Yes. They used this system through the 64 model year.

OK then the pressure flow valve & spring should work,I would test the power steering before re-sealing the control valve.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,, i have a gm.type2 pump. but the rest is stock 59 power steering, what is the psi for this pump. i have no leaks and works great.
i'd post pic's but you can not do it 2 times.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bam59 said:
hi,, i have a gm.type2 pump. but the rest is stock 59 power steering, what is the psi for this pump. i have no leaks and works great.
i'd post pic's but you can not do it 2 times.

Mike,if you want to post a photo in a thread that you have used already,click on User CP at the top of the page,click on attachements and find the photo you want to re-use and deleat photo.Then you can re-use photo

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Deleting photos

JimKwiatkowski said:
Mike,if you want to post a photo in a thread that you have used already,click on User CP at the top of the page,click on attachements and find the photo you want to re-use and deleat photo.Then you can re-use photo

Thanks, Jim. Didn't know that. Just deleted about 4 pages of photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arkyduck

Thank for the pics Fred. That is pretty much the same setup I have, except it looks like you have a remote reservoir. Information I've found on the internet says those pumps put out anywhere from 1200 to 1350 PSI! How long have you been running this setup?

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
JimKwiatkowski said:
In 63 was the control valve mounted on your steering linkage ?

Not to hijack this thread but, would the tri-five p/s linkage interchange with '58-64?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Seon said:
Not to hijack this thread but, would the tri-five p/s linkage interchange with '58-64?

Seon, the tri-five and 58-64 have different frames.The steering linkage & gear on the tri-fives is mounted in back of front crossmember and 58-64 is mounted in front of the crossmember.

arkyduck

Hi Mike,
From what I have been able to find out from GM guys, your pump puts out 1200 to 1350 PSI. How long have you been driving with that pump? Maybe pressure isn't so important.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
arkyduck: i have been running it for about a year now. i made the brackets and so far working great, have about 600 miles on it, all in town.
i did not rebuild the cyl. i have a 8-10 oz. remote tank. i have 7in. of tread on the front tires and it is better then the stock pump.
the fitting that go on the cyl. are a little pain in the butt but work able.
if you need more pic's i can get them for you.( now that i cleaned them out)
thanks to jim. :bow hope this helps mike