powerglide transmission lines

bobs409

Administrator
Anybody know which line goes where? Does it matter???

I seem to have forgotten to make a note of this when I disassembled the car. :doh

Thanks,

Bob

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
On the aluminum powerglide the top line is in, the bottom line is out. On some coolers there is a flow direction so it would matter. I am not sure if the flow direction is the same on the older cast iron glides. :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks. This is the aluminum PG. I would need to know which line goes where. Such as driver side of radiator to top fitting of trans or vise versa.

If no one knows off hand I guess I'll have to climb under one of my other cars but thought I'd try the cleaner way by asking here. :p :D

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, I believe what Larrys description means is --Upper line to the inside of the car or driver side. Bottom line to the outer side or passenger side. I may be wrong , but thats the way I understood it. Good luck

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tranny Lines

Hey Bob

On the 61 with a cast iron PG:

The longer of the two goes from the lower fitting at the tranny to the driver's side of the rad.

The shorter line goes from the upper fitting to the pass side of the rad.

Should be the same for the aluminum PGs..... :rolleyes:

bj :cheers

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
I was stating the function of the lines on the trans case. In an application where the cooler is non-directional I do not believe it matters which way you plumb it. I would go for the easy and clean route. On an in radiator cooler, I think I would go in on top, out on bottom, due to the way the water also flows through, hotter on the top, cooler on the bottom. For a bolt on cooler, whatever works.