Problem to run Weber/Holley 4V "Backward"?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Getting closer to having my V6 Buick powered buggy running.

The engine hangs from the rear, sitting backward to it's normal orientation.

Should I be doing anything for the carburetor or will it be OK?

I don't know that the manifold would work right if I just reverse the carb.

Maybe this is not an issue? :dunno

fastfreds

Well Known Member
buick v-6

What manifold do you have on it now? Weber/ Holley carb? Carb orientation shouldn't really matter to much on most manifolds but I imagine it would work better if installed in the correct direction.
It's possible that the carb flange on the manifold is tipped to the front slightly to correct for the rearward slant of the engine installed in a conventional manner. In your application where the engine probably sits pretty level, this would tip the carb forward alot and most likely adversely affect the float levels. If this is the case there are angle plates available for most carbs that will correct this.
Hope this helps.

Fred

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Edelbrock performer dual plane with a single fore-aft divider.

Looking at it now there is a slight tilt to the (normally) rear.

Some one cut down the plenum divider about 3/8".

I can look at Summit racing for an angle plate, I expect it will accentuate the cut down divider.
Not sure how that will affect things? :dunno

I may be able to weld in an extension to the divider if it is a good idea.

fastfreds

Well Known Member
Manifold

You could also remove the manifold and have a machine shop cut the carb pad down on one end to level it up. No big deal on a milling machine and that would also bring the divider back to the correct height (or pretty close). Most manifolds have enough material in that area to take a small amount off without causing a problem. Having the divider close to the top would be better in a sand rail application anyway because it would help make better bottom end torque.

Fred

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
I have a mill, might have to mount the engine first.....

I have a mill, might have to mount the engine first in order to measure the angle of the manifold before making changes.