PS Pump, 1959 348 ElCamino, 605 Conv.

damnitdave

We are building a 1959 El Camino with a 348. We converted stock power assist steering to a manual rack and added a GM 605 Power steering pump. We have a bracket for a SBC that looks like it would work if the block casting was drilled an tapped, but we're not too hip to doing that. There is a 348 PS bracket being sold by impalaparts.com for $140, that from a picture looks like it should mount in the same place as the SBC bracket, and still we're a little worried about the overall clearance in that location in respect to the steering box.

Other factors include Vintage air (ac compressor, top pass. side) and alternator (Allan Grove brackets, top drv. side). Was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Impala Parts bracket, or any other brackets that may cater to a mini-style PS Pump? Photo of area shown below.

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 78

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I also used Showcars. Lined up is good. It's a tight fit but it works. Good luck,.:roll :roll

damnitdave

models916 said:
I used the Saginaw pump from my small block and 605 Monte Carlo PS box on my 348 block. Drill and tap the two bosses and install bracket. I used Show Cars Bracket and pulley alignment is perfect. Cheaper too!
How deep can you safely drill into that block? How deep did you drill yours?

Dave

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I can measure

If you need to know exactly, I can measure when I get home. I am pretty sure it was 5/8 inch. Could use 1/2 if you wanted, as there is not a lot of forward pull on the threads, just side shear. Use Grade 8 and you won't have a problem.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use a bracket off a 60 348 and you will need a 3 groove pulley for the crank, the vintage air will use 1 groove and the alt. will use the other. It is tight and adjusting the belt tension is a bear unless you have a tensioner to hold the pump out until you get the bolts tight. I would like a 605 box for mine what did you do to convert?:dunno Roy

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
adapter plate

you can get an adapter plate from a number of sources (SC is one) and I bought a rebuilt 605 box from an auto parts store for $118.00 Had the hoses made at Bristol Hose in Northlake, IL. (hoses $80.00). There is a rag joint adapter ($50) also and I got it at the same place as the adapter. 605 box is used on mid 80s GM like Cutlass, GP, Monte Carlo. Manual steering arm bolts right on the 605 box. Shaft needs to be shortened at the rag joint and pinned. I believe there is also an adapter for the steering arm if you already have power steering. Easy install.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I used a 605 box with an adapter, I think I got it from Late Great Chevys. It fits alright but it's tight. The pump runs quite close to the steering box when the belts are tightened. I even ground some of the extra casting from the steering box for extra room. It all fits fine but there's not a lot of room to spare.

BB1960

Well Known Member
I scored a bracket for a 348 with a power steering setup I nabbed for $120 not long ago. However, still need the correct pulleys.

Anyone know where I can find some (PS - Sorry for Hi-Jacking you thread).

Regards,

Simon