Question for PVS409

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I see in an earlier thread that you had stainless steel sleeves installed in 61-63 master cylinders. I have a 62 that I need to get fixed. Can any machine shop do that or did you send it somewhere?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes I had the sleeves installed in California. It takes a month or more.
I have a original master cylinder already done with a zinc plated original cap and screw plus a new kit that I can sell.
Paul

bobs409

Administrator
I wonder how hard it is to do that if you have a mill. :rub Doesn't seem like it would be that tough.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My understanding is that its not easy to get the stainless sleeve (or a brass sleeve) to not leak.
I have had to return at least one that did leak to be redone.
There were 2 companies doing the master cylinders in California - I had brass sleeves done at the one that retired a few years ago.
Karps Power Brake Service is the one I have been using.

Jerry B

Well Known Member
Thanks Paul,
Would you text me a price at 405-219-4699. I have an old AOL email address and it isn't supported on this web site.
Mine doesn't appear to be pitted but I put a kit in it a few years ago and it is leaking again. May just try to ream it and put in a kit. Is DOT 5 more or less likely to leak than DOT 3? I would like to go to DOT 5.

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I put silicone fluid in all my 62’s, that have sleeves. Not sure what dot # that is.
actually the sleeves are designed to stop leaks on the factory master cylinders with worn cylinders.
I will send pictures and price. I think i have one new NAPA kit for the master cylinder.
I keep & find good rubber gaskets for the cap since no new kit includes the large rubber washer for the lid

I have had about 8 - 62’s with sleeved screw top factory original master cylinders and I have sold about 10+ master cylinders with either brass or stainless sleeves - no leaks as I remember ( maybe had one leak - not sure I remember)

until recently no reproduction screw top factory style master cylinders were ever sold by parts places ( it’s been
50 years or more since new correct factory master cylinders were available), thats why I started having my originals sleeved and the caps & mounting screw zinc plated.
Paul