Real Rarity

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi all,was in Ocean City,Md. for the last 4 days for their fall Cruise and Show.Came across this real rarity of a car.I bet a lot of you guys never knew this existed,including myself up until about 7 or 8 months ago.Check out these pictures,I'll save the car pictures for last.See if you can figure this out by looking at the 4 engine photos and not before looking at the car photos . John

I know you all have seen these fuelie units on Corvettes,but this is no Corvette:

(img) (/img)

(img) (/img)

(img) (/img)

Note***** The air cleaner assembly is a one year assembly. And No this is not a 1957 Chevy Fuelie.

(img) (img/)

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok give up,here's the car photos:

(img) (/img)

Yep,that's right its a 1959 Chevy Fuelie.Apparently Chevrolet made Fuelie big bodies in 1957,1958,and 1959.I have known of the 1957 Fuelie cars(Black Widow Cars),but never heard of 1958 and 1959 "x" frame cars until 7 or 8 months ago.Never knew they existed.These were 283ci,290 hp,a $400.00 option.Not many sold,just about 100 or so.Most people opted for the 348ci tri power,which was cheaper and had more horsepower.Here's a few more pictures:

(img) (/img)

(img) (/img)

Yep,its a 4 speed to boot !!!

(img) (/img)

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks just like this one that I seen two years ago in Arizona. Very cool I think Zora Duntov was behind this project:clap

Attachments

• IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 50

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Few more pictures of this real nice 1959 convertible:

(img) (/img)

(img) (/img)

This is the whole deal here.The emblem thats only on the 1959 Chevrolet that denotes this a fuelie car.These emblems are not reproduced,the owner told me you could by a car for what their worth.But you know what??? I bet Phil has a couple of sets hidden in his stash of goodies !!!!

(img) (/img)

The car is not a true fuelie(its a clone),the top end of the engine is totally correct but his car truely made my day,it was one real attention getter,I would say Barrett Jackson quality.It was really neat to check out,and totally different .I'm sure Dick or paint helper 2 will join in to verify the quality of the car.The car has been in the owners family for well over 35 years.The owner by the way was quite young,probably in his 30's.The car belonged to his Dad,and was given to him.Not only did he have the car,but he had all kinds of documentation,even the dealers order manual showing this option being avialiable. John

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
59 Fi

This is the 2nd one I have ever seen-Cool:cool:

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I guessed wrong!

I was thinking it was a 1957, so I was wrong.

Thanks for the photos, very nice car. I sometimes wish my Corvette was a fuelie, but since I drive her a lot, I prefer the ease of the four barrel in terms of starting and maintenance. Now if it were resale value, that would be another story!

Cheers!
TomK

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The chrome unit on the rear quarter by the wheel well opening was an option avialible through the factory order sheet.THis was a false exhaust cover to simulate tail pipe ending there.This was not an aftermarket item,but was orderable through a factory order.It also could be purchased thru the dealership as well like mirrors,continental kit,or fenderskirts. John

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The aircleaner adapter is the giveaway. It was known as the "parking meter" and was used only in 59. The FI engines were available in :
250 hp with hydraulic lifters, standard (3 or 4 spd)trans, code CH,
290hp with solid lifters (097 Duntov cam), standard (3 or 4 speed) trans, code CJ
250 hp hydraulic cam with powerglide, code DP
250 hp hydraulic cam with turboglide, code EC

I have a 59 fuel injection unit :D

I looked at an original 58 Bel Air 4 door hardtop with factory FI in Sacramento in about 83...wonder if it's still there.:scratch

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is a neat find

There is a real nice lady that has a 57 Red Belair conv fuelie that shows up at the beach cuirse every week. Next year when the Apache is more show then driver I'll go it get pictures to post.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man, that sure looks like Ed Pogue's old car from Oklahoma! It took him many years years to find the missing pieces and restore it. I'm sure Phil remembers the car too. I remember coming home from Super Chevy-Indy when trailer that it was being carried on blew a tire and got a little squirrelly! It scared me to death knowing the the probably the most valuable '59 Chevy Impala on the planet was on that trailer! He changed the trailer tire and everything was fine in the end.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There is a blue 59 (sedan I think) that shows up in Turlock from time to time, it's the only one I have ever seen. I have no idea if it is original or not. Cecil, did you ever see that one?

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man, that sure looks like Ed Pogue's old car from Oklahoma! It took him many years years to find the missing pieces and restore it. I'm sure Phil remembers the car too. I remember coming home from Super Chevy-Indy when trailer that it was being carried on blew a tire and got a little squirrelly! It scared me to death knowing the the probably the most valuable '59 Chevy Impala on the planet was on that trailer! He changed the trailer tire and everything was fine in the end.

Mark,as far as I know according to the owner: "Car has been in his family for almost 40 years".I believe its always been a Maryland car.The car did have at one time a continental kit and fenderskirts.It was also featured in I believe Motor Trend Magazine in the late 1970's or early 1980's.He had the article and magazine with him with the car in it. The paint on this car is over 35 years old,it is still absolutely stunning.My friend Gary who is a car guy as well,always hated 1959 Chevies till he saw this one.He was still talking about the car when I talked to him on the phone today,telling me how rare and neat this car was,and how the owner had the forsight to clone such a different type of car which you never see.Believe me after looking at about 8,000 cars this weekend(about 50% of them were Chevelles or Camaros,or Mustangs),this car was just plain refreshing!!!!!!!! John

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a real nice lady that has a 57 Red Belair conv fuelie that shows up at the beach cuirse every week. Next year when the Apache is more show then driver I'll go it get pictures to post.

Derry,my friend Gary(who is in one picture taking a picture of the Impala)has a friend who lives near Georgetown,De.He has a real nice 1957 Fuelie which he has owned since 1960.The car is pretty close to being perfect,but has not been on the road in 30 years or so.He also has a 1958 Impala Convertible which he bought new.That has a 348,tri power.White on White,red upholstery.He's invited us to come and see all of his cars,next time we all go to the beach.I'll have pictures when that happens. He tried to sell Dick a 1958 Impala hardtop with a 348 tri power as well. John

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There is a blue 59 (sedan I think) that shows up in Turlock from time to time, it's the only one I have ever seen. I have no idea if it is original or not. Cecil, did you ever see that one?

No, but I sure will be looking for it next time.:deal

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Mark...........that does remind me of Ed's car. It was built out of ALL NOS parts!!!! He even left the parts tags on the parts when he built it!!!
I had a customer in CA who specialized in 59 fuelies. Yes, they were real cars!! And the 59 only NOS fuel injection scripts were bringing in the 4-figures about 15 years ago!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Biscayne Stocker

John, Thanks for posting the pics of my 59. It was also nice talking to you at the OC show. John is correct. This car has been in my family for over 35 years, and always been in Maryland. I decided to make this car into a Fuelie about 3-4 years ago. Paint on this car was done in 1977 when my father restored it. Car was restored with all NOS trim, emblems, etc. I re-did the engine compartment and front and rear suspension, Installed the fuel injection motor and 4 speed this past winter and spring. Car also features all the ORIGINAL interior from 1959. The front fender emblems were the toughest pieces to find and I would almost be willing to bet the ONLY complete set of four 59 emblems in the country. Thanks again John