Rear lower control arm mount

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi guys. Here's a rear suspension observation/question: On my '58 Delray windowed SDL, where the rear suspension's lower control arm mounts to the frame there are lower & upper bolt holes. In the assembly manual it specifically states that the lower hole is only used for wagons, which I would assume that my car would fall into that classification. But on my car the bolts are in the upper holes. I don't know if that is from the factory or if they were swapped over the years.
Does anyone know what the difference is? I mean does it affect the height/ride/handling/etc. or what? I'm just curious, as now when I reassemble I need to decide which holes to try first.
Your ideas/opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would think the lower holes were used on the wagons to allow for heaver loads and a bit more of suspension travel. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong. If you hauling and like the look of the higher ride hight then use the lower position if not use the lower. Just my 2 cents.:doh

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Dan.
I'm leaning towards leaving them in the upper position, since that's where they were when I disassembled them. But I may experiment. I do wonder if one way or the other would effect traction / wheelhop.

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
On the 64's I was told that the upper holes were for the wagons and the lower holes for the sedans. I've used both setups. The lower holes seem to work better for my application. I would be very disappointed if someone didn't disagree with me on this one:)

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cheap1, that's interesting that the '64 would be the opposite holes for the wagon than the '58.
I'm curious when you say that "the bottom holes seemed to work better" - what exactly do you mean? I'm just wondering what was different?
Thanks

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
When I had the control arms in the upper holes it wheel hopped very bad. By putting the control arms in the lower holes it seemed to help the problem:dunno I am running very stiff springs in the rear I'm not sure if that made a difference or not. I don't know what the spring rate is exactly but the car sits about an inch and a half higher than stock even with the control arms in the lower holes.