rear window installation 58 impala

boug58

Well Known Member
I have clips for my 58 impala and i would like to find out where they go in the rear window. I would like to find a good picture. Please help me on this. Also i,am going to start up my 348 this week and i first would like to now ,how much oil pressure should i have . I primed the oil pump with my drill that goes 1,800 rpm and i had just over 20psi. Is this ok. and will i have a little more when it starts. Please help me thanks

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
if you primed the oilpump with a drill but had no distributer housing, there would be a massive internal leak where the oil ports crossover. some of the oil system depends on the dist housing to direct the flow.

you'll show a low pressure this way and will NOT lube all of the important places in the engine. make or borrow the correct tool. then try again. you should see much improved results.

bobs409

Administrator
I remember getting about 50-60 when I primed mine before firing and that was without a housing. Mine still goes to about 60 when it fires cold.

Mine is a hi-po so that may be why the higher numbers?

I've always heard that 10 lbs for every 1,000 rpms is what you should have minimum.

boug58

Well Known Member
to bobs409

In my engine i have it stroked by using a 409 crank and rods. Also i have the valves oversides, and a 525 lift cam, with 3x2 intake and carbs. From Boug58

JokersBel

Banned
Are there any other distributors out there that will work to prime the engine with. Don't you have to modify the shaft for a drill to fit on, meaning the destruction of the unit? I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good 348 distributor.

Jim

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Well hell i guess 40 psi at 500 rpm idle in Drive and 42-43 psi at 800 rpm in Park is good then. goes no higher on my engine than 50 @ 4,000 rpm in park.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
I dont know the brand but i know its a high performance race style oil pump thats built to handle high rpm`s. what i find funny is reading the restoration packet i got it says the oil pressure idiot light comes on at 2 psi and goes out at 8 psi.lmfao now thats stupid engine would be gone by time the light came on if you ask me.lol