Replacement for jute padding

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
My 62 build is moving from the engine and driveline to the interior. I need to install some kind of padding for under the carpet and I do not want to use the jute type padding. I have seen the dynamat foil type peel and stick padding but, I am thinking that stuff is going to be too thin I've also seen on ebay some padding called Fatmat that is supposed to be 80 mils. thick, is that thick enough or does it need to be even thicker than that? How well does that foil type padding work? Do I need to be concerned about how thin or thick it is? :dunno

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom-

I used the FatMat on my car. Also, the carpet kit I ordered came with the jute padding already attached to the bottom.

picture.php

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
I ordered my carpet from Classic Industries and it came with the padding on just the footwells on the rear and the footwells and trans hump on the front
BigBlockWilly

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom,I purchased my insulation from Lowe's.The insulation came in a roll ,enough to do 3 cars.Price was really good,about 1/2 the cost of the insulation they sell from Cars,Hubbard's etc.I've had no problems at all with heat coming through the floor,and goes in extremely easy.My carpet that I purchased had the padding already attached.With the insulation under it,really made the car quiet inside even with flo master exhaust. John

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
On my late-model Impala, I doubled up two layers of a product called RAAMmat on the floors. It's a lower-cost alternative to the standard Dynamat. Each layer is spec'd at having a thickness of 60 mils. Over those layers, I put down a single layer of Ensolite closed-cell foam at 1/8" thick. The replacement carpet I used also had a heavier rubber backing (OEM type) than the usual replacement carpet.

My primary goal was to use it as a sound dampner, but it seems to hold back the heat the same/better than the stock setup.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Choices

I used some type of rubber mat under my carpet for sound deadening and heat transfer. The aftermarket carpet I received already had a backing on it. Phil Reed connected me up with these choices. I basically ordered my entire interior from Phil, from carpet to headliner, from seat covers to door panels and more. He knows the best parts from the best distributors.

Good luck!

TomK