replacing rear brake hose

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I noticed yesterday afternoon when I was under the car that I have a leak where the rear flexible brake hose meets the hardline. Any idea why it would leak here? It doesn't appear to be leaking from the hose itself. Next question is how does this hose come apart? Is it threaded (mine is really tight) or held on with a clip? Does this junction have a copper washer? If so mine might be split if I remember correctly

thanks everyone

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
for reference, here is the brake hose in question (courtesy of Show Cars)

2258.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
I just put a new one on my 63 that I got from Autozone. Looks exactly like that one.

The end on the left screws into a divider block. Then you put the other end through a hole in the frame and install the clip. Your brake line then screws into it.

Not sure about the washer you asked about, mine didn't have anything like that.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
thanks bob...I thought there was suppposed to be a copper washer or something but you are right there is not. My local Autozone doesn't stock the part but I might just have them get it for me so I can throw it on this coming weekend.

thanks!
:brow

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Jason: Probably, the metal brake line is leaking. Those are the usual culprits. :dunno

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jason: Probably, the metal brake line is leaking. Those are the usual culprits. :dunno

meaning its cracked or something? The area around the hard line doesn't look wet or anything though??? Only around the rubber soft line. I'll have to get back under there and clean everything up well and get the wife to pump the pedal a few times to see if I can spot the leak. Seriously can't drive this car around the block this year without needing to fix something once I get home :takethat

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hose

Sometimes the hose breaks down from the inside . The fluid passes around the different layer of rubber and fabric and leaks develope. It got old . Just like the rest of us. Have a great day...

bobs409

Administrator
I replaced mine only because it was ugly after 45 years of being under a car. :eek: It was still usable, just hard as a rock! lol

I bet the new one won't last that long! :bang

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
well, I was all ready to work on replacing the hose last night. Got under the car and cleaned the area up real well and noticed the fluid doesn't look like brake fluid. HMM. Maybe its just dirty from being under the car. Had the wife pump the brake pedal a bunch of times with me under the car. No leaks at all.

I have had a decent oil leak from the rear corner of my oil pan since the motor went in the car. Since this motor was never intended to be a long-term engine, I never bothered to pull the motor back out to replace the pan gasket AGAIN. I think what is happening here is the oil drips fly to the back of the car when driving, hitting the driveshaft/pinion yoke etc and get flung all over the place. My master cylinder is full also upon checking that last night to confirm my thought about the oil pan leak.

SO I left the hose alone. It looks good. Been replaced at some point already. But the hose itself is still decent and no visual dripping, spraying or anything.

So typical..car 1.......Jason 0 :roll

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Jason, when I was replacing my rear springs, I noticed my rear end housing was dripping wet every day. That was nerve wracking. :eek:Inside my garage (cover-it instant garage) it was probably 100 deg. As soon as I opened the front door, and cooler air started circulating, everything under the car was wet.:eek:Now that cooler weather is here, this isn't a problem anymore.:clap Glad you didn't need to change the hose.:clap