Restoration ?s decals or not?

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
On another post I saw pictures of the Barret Jackson cars. Some claiming original and low miles and all the 63s and 64s had decals on the valve covers. I was informed by very knowledgable enthusiasts and even original owners of these cars, all from this site, that valve cover decals were never put on chrome valve covers. (we're talking W-engines here)
So what's the final word on this? (is there a final word?) Decals or not? Did Flint use them? Did Tonawanda?
Should I continue on with my thinking that original cars never had the decals on the covers and remind myself that these are just "Barret Jackson" cars?
:dunno :dunno :dunno

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Should I continue on with my thinking that original cars never had the decals on the covers and remind myself that these are just "Barret Jackson" cars?"

Probably should.......however the '61 409 had no decals on the valve covers, the '62 did have decals but after that they didn't. The chrome valve covers did not have decals.
BTW.....the 409's were all built in tonawanda
I believe I'm correct on all of the above, if not, someone will correct me.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanx Tommy, I will continue to argue with people who say the chrome covers came with decals.
How about the chrome air cleaners? I have also seen these with small "425 hp" decals on the very front (between the snorkels) Is this factory? I'm thinking not.
Also there is a picture in Chevs by the numbers of a Z-11 block with a Flint stamping on the front pad. Were just the Z-11s built in Flint?