ring compressor question

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Dear 348-409ers,
Can a standard, ribbon-style ring compressor be used for installing pistons in the 348-409 motor or, because of the unique 16 degree angle between the block deck and cylinder axis, is a special tool required?
Dan Fults

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan,most of the guys here that build these engine use a special tool called thier fingers.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Screw that. I have a cheapo one that fits down between the piston and counter bore like shown in the shop manual. No hurt fingers and no broken rings. I'll look later and post a picture.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Bought a cheap one, it was thin and had the swerly(sp) edges I just turned it upside down and it worked great!:beer

chuckl

Well Known Member
Dear 348-409ers,
Can a standard, ribbon-style ring compressor be used for installing pistons in the 348-409 motor or, because of the unique 16 degree angle between the block deck and cylinder axis, is a special tool required?
Dan Fults
Whatever counterbore gap remains after boring, use a valve lash gauge of the same thickness on the deep side to help guide the rings into the cyl. Use the old fingers to squeeze the rings and a light tap with a soft hammer. Works good; lasts a long time. Never broke a ring---yet. :pray

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
By the time the block gets to .060 over, there is no counter bore left in places, no room for compressor. Use fingers.

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
That's some mighty fine advice. Sounds like you guys have pushed a piston or two into a W block before!
Dan Fults

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This fits between the piston and counter bore just fine. I have a .048 overbore and there is still more room left where .060 over should pose no issues. You can push the piston in with two fingers. Zero risk of damage and like I said, no sore fingers. K-D tools makes one and I have seen cheaper versions also.
ringcompressor.jpg

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have a set just like that. Best ring compressor I have ever used. But still had to use fingers on the .060 over rebuild.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I've gone both ways. Oddly, in my 409 stroker with a .100" overbore I used the old school ring compressor. Others I did without a compressor and lost some finger nails. Both ways work OK.

When I did my stroked 428 Pontiac engine .030" over I used a ring compressor and buggered up a set of rings. Go figure!

TomK

59 NSS - 409 Charlie

Jeff Hall is right. All it takes is the old first style. Round canister type turn it up side down with the 3 off sets facing up, it is the one that use the large allen wrench to tighten it up. My machine shop man told me that one. Good Luck. See you at the track.