Rock auto is pissing me off!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I use Rock Auto to find the mechanical parts I want, then pick them up locally. They have good descriptions of brands and part numbers.
I use Phil and Show Cars for most other things. Phil only sells good stuff.

Don

bobs409

Administrator
I wouldn't trust their descriptions, pictures or part numbers. That's what caused some of my problems.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, I use them as a guide, but have the local place confirm them. Also, every local place I order from will take it back for a full refund. Most places on line have their own part numbers which are useless when going to a local shop.
Don

Dr Richard Kimble

Well Known Member
I have never heard of any business offering a refund on returned parts, that included the return shipping , ever

Jason has it. A real parts store , for ALL but specialty items. To me , doing anything else , is another step away from being a real car guy , and a step towards being a computer geek:hide

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I bought a starter from Show Cars several years ago, and found it was flawed and did not perform. Called Bruce and he shipped another one free of charge, and I recall he said to keep the other one as it cost more to ship than it was worth. For many, they are a one stop shopping experience with people who know their product :).

Bob, I sympathize with you regarding your situation. You wouldn't believe how many times this has happened to me in the past six months while I finished my construction project! Luckily my wife is a bulldog on these issues and she will stay on the phone forever until she gets things corrected. I have less patience, I'm to busy moving forward and meeting deadlines to deal with issues like this. At least that's what I tell myself! In reality I hate confrontational situations :).

TomK

bobs409

Administrator
Well I wrote them back (rock auto) and complained about their policy but they wouldn't budge. Said they understood why I didn't want the blue cap but that I had to pay the return ship. I won't post my reply to that letter since this is a G rated site and my Irish side came out! :angry :censor

I'm completely done with rockauto! I told them about their BS shipping costs too. $4.96 to ship a small seal. I told them the real cost to ship that item is currently $1.93 at the USPS! Then they have the balls to say something about passing along savings on shipping in their FAQ. Then how they keep tacking on more ship charges with each item no matter how small it is. They are a rip off! Oh I gave it to them good! :laugh Told them to keep on doing what they are doing, they're hurting themselves much better than I could. :bat

Ok, getting over it now and moving on. :chill Guess I can ebay the cap or maybe save it for another car. I'm not wasting more money sending it back, that would be crazy!

I'll tell ya, agree with me or not, I'm gonna be a lot more careful before pushing that order button at ANY place online again.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
By the way, I'm a seller on ebay and when I screw up, I give back the full cost of the item, original shipping and I cover the return shipping too! That's the difference between me and them guys!

And there ARE places out there that do this exact thing. I think Summit did for a defective tire gauge I bought once, that's why I thought they did for everything. Maybe they changed policy too?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob maybe you could spray some primer on that dist cap and rattle can some semi flat black for now????:dunno

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob

I live 30 minutes from Summit and I have never had a problem with them since I can deal at the counter but know other people who seem to have their negative stories. I think it depends on which employee you talk to sometime.

Bill

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Summit's customer service is top notch, never had a problem with them for sure. I Have bought from Rockauto a ton as well and had nothing but good experience with them as well. I guess sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Buy through your local auto parts Bob. Advance can and will order most anything you will need. Usually can get stuff same day or within 3 days. They will price match and best part is, no shipping to pay. I used to use them exclusively until I discovered the old skool parts store. Better prices, better customer service, knowledgable staff, everything in stock (usually) and they sell Brad Penn racing oil! ONE STOP SHOP!

Shoot, call them Bob, maybe they will ship you what you need!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have two good stories from places in the USA and dealing from NZ

The first was when i was doing my 37 furd phaeton up.
ordered SS hood hinges from MACs autoparts. got two LH side hinges in a courier parcel.
Photographed them and emailed them back
The reply was "correct hinge on the way, sorry for the mix up. Please keep the incorrect hinge as a memento"

The next one was with a rear end bush kit for Lynettes 60 impala
ordered from CPP arrived with two incorrect bushes
Again photographed the box and the parts and emailed them with pics
Replacement bushes were sent out and i had them in under a week, didnt want me to send the incorrect ones back as the freight and paperwork would not be worth it.

Have only had one experience that was bad from USA in relation to parts never arriving and no tracking numbers being provided, no evidence of items ever being shipped:mad

Steve

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, gotta give Summit some love. I had a problem with a part from them that did not fit so I contacted them about returning it. I got the same thing, I end up paying the return ship. So I wrote them back and not being my friendly self, explained what I thought about that. Got a reply today and they agreed with me so will not be deducting the return cost from the refund.

They also said they will contact the manufacturer about the product and have it straightened out. I also mention about their pictures showing a wrong rotor color and they said they would fix that too.

At least they took care of the problem and didn't expect me to pay for their mistakes. That's all I ask, I'm not looking for anything that is not fair.

They mentioned my past history of purchases (ca'ching!) and said I only had 1 return way back in 2010 so I guess they trust what I say and know I'm genuine.

Really glad this worked out because I do love shopping with Summit for many things.

And in closing, Rock auto can kiss my.... :censor