September Calendar Car Update

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here's a before and a couple of after pictures for those who have asked how it's coming.

Was:
a 348 powerglide, power steering, standard brakes, original car.

Now:
375 HP, 430 ft. lb. standard bore 409
700R4
Power disc brakes
2" drop spindles
605 steering box
New wiper motor
Heater core
Tach
New rear brakes
New 1" rear sway bar
All new shocks
An extra 6 circuit panel & wiring clean up
Alternator
Driveshaft shortened, balanced, new u-joints & steady bearing.
....and lots of polish and probably some things I've forgott

.......... New Aluminum Rad got here tonight. It will idle for about 20 minutes with the original rad and she's starting to get hot. The rad looked good so I had to try it. .........

I hope to melt a little rubber this weekend, and get some pictures outside. I'm sure they will be better.

Dave

Attachments

• after 1.jpg
    after 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 89
  • after 2.jpg
    after 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 76
  • after 3.jpg
    after 3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 1961 before.jpg
    1961 before.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 82

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dave nice looking and I'm sure it will perform well also. Keep us posted. My 61 is getting jealous or maybe it's owner is:roll
robert

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave,LOOKIN" GOOD!!!! It's amazing what a "W" engine and a little time and effort will do to a car.Good work,,have all the fun in the world with that car now!!! John

S

Swiss Impala

Hello from Switzerland,

It was Dave, who helped me so much to get this fine 409 engine.
I still have to do some big work on my Impala. I hope I can begin
next winter. You can imagine that it is not so easy to get the parts
I need here in Switzerland. But Dave always helps me.
I did not only find a fine 409 but also a good friend.
So I am happy that Dave's Impala is on the way to become a
wonderful classic Chevrolet. Congratulations. :clap :clap

Have a good day,

Franz

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great combination!

Dave:

My favorite combination, a 1961 Chevy sport coupe with a "W" in the engine bay. It just doesn't get much better than that :).

Congrats on the "before and after", we all wish we could make so much progress in such a short time!

Cheers!
TomK

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
we all wish we could make so much progress in such a short time!

Tom,
:roll...... I'm about 2 months late for the car show I wanted it in this summer. It's really to bad life gets in the way.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. If I can get the time off work I'm thinking I'll drive her to Thompson next year (if that's where we're going). I'll have to try it for a while first but it should be a nice cruiser. With 3:08's in the back it should do 65 MPH at 1700 RPM (+/-)..... she should be good (well at least OK) on gas...... Jim at the shop says the way she's put together she'll do that all day long......... I've always wanted to drive across the country so we'll see.

Dave

PS...... a couple of things I forgot...... new gas tank & sender and new exhaust. I used the Flowmaster 2 1/2" kit and it fits like a glove. I'd highly recommend it.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave, 14 MPG on the 4 speed, maybe the OD will get you 15, Imperial that is. Big change inside and out since Feb. Congrats.

Don

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
14 MPG on the 4 speed, maybe the OD will get you 15,

...... well Don, :?I was thinking 18 or 20 :crazy if I keep my foot out of it............ :scratch We'll find out soon.

Dave

PS..... it starts much better than when you were here..... (smile)

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave-

She sure is looking good! Bet you can't wait to get her on the road.

I would love to get half that gas mileage. Drove mine to work the other day and went through 11 gallons of gas going 34 miles. 104 octane at 9.00/gallon cost me about 100.00. needles to say, I won't be driving it to work again!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Ouch!

Dave:

The drive to Thompson (for James and I) was a blast! We put on some 1500 miles and smiled all the way out and back. You get lots of looks when barreling down the highway! Driving your own car that you assembled gives you a lot of confidence, knowing that you can fix most anything :). Unless of course you shatter your rear end at the Drag Strip :). Even that can be dealt with!

Brian's mileage doesn't make his car cost effective for "transportation", but I got about 12 MPG on the highway with 3.36 gears and the four speed. That works for me! 7500 miles and counting since the rebuild.

Cheers!
TomK

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian...... Kind'a different engines.......they're both 409 blocks.. but that's about all that's similar between your engine and mine. I'm guessing you have me beat by about 200 horse power so I would hope mine is quite a bit better on gas than yours. At 9.7 to 1 compression and 17" of vacuum mine will be happy with 92 or 94octane.

.......but if we do get to race at Thompson you will kick my butt for sure and if they were parked close together at a car show, the lookers would be under your hood and I'd be kind'a lonely.

Having said that......... if someday I decide to build a storm'in 409 for my '38 Chevy the race results could change....... I have the technology and the engine shop to do that......... (just short the money) :roll:roll:roll

Tom's & Don's mileage is more realistic for my car...... 12 to 14 MPG with 4 speeds so mine should be better with the 700R's overdrive & lock up. I am talking Imperial gallons which does make a difference as well. A U.S. gallon is .83 of an Imperial gallon. I'll have to go for a drive and have lunch with Tripower. The highway from here to Dan's is flat and 60 MPH speed limit....... that should put me at about 1600 RPM. The test would be the same as they do with the new cars if I can arrange a tail wind :roll:roll

........ I hope I can afford to drive mine to work.... ??????

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll have to go for a drive and have lunch with Tripower. The highway from here to Dan's is flat and 60 MPH speed limit....... that should put me at about 1600 RPM. The test would be the same as they do with the new cars if I can arrange a tail wind :roll:roll

........ I hope I can afford to drive mine to work.... ??????

Dave

Dave, Come on down we can have a round up. I would love to show you some of the stuff around here. I thought the speed limit was 70mph north of Everett. I am looking forward to the 6-speed with .76 OD 3:55 rear behind the little 418ci 348 in the Bel-Air. Hopfully it will be ready for the spring cruising.