solid driveshaft?

ja61impala

has any of you ran a solid drive shaft on x-frame, I hear it can be done just wondering what or if there are any trix?

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Do you mean replace the two piece stock driveshaft with a single driveshaft? If so yes it can easily be done. It requires removing the bottom plate at the X in the frame and then rebuilding it once you have the drive shaft in. The new bottom piece, in my car, is concaved to clear the driveshaft with plenty of room for movement and yet contected to the frame to give it back its strength. I know a lot of others have done this but in different but similar methods.

Paul

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Do you mean replace the two piece stock driveshaft with a single driveshaft? If so yes it can easily be done. It requires removing the bottom plate at the X in the frame and then rebuilding it once you have the drive shaft in. The new bottom piece, in my car, is concaved to clear the driveshaft with plenty of room for movement and yet contected to the frame to give it back its strength. I know a lot of others have done this but in different but similar methods.

Paul

Pictures???:pray

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
The links for a solid drive shaft no longer go to anywhere. New links? I am going to go with a solid drive shaft and would like to know what mods are needed for it to work.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you're wondering about critical speed and drive shaft length, here are some more links:
http://markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx
http://markwilliams.com/driveshafts.aspx

Because this company is about 20 miles or so from me, I may order my one piece drives haft from them.

According to my engine builder, he's never had a bad experience with Mark Williams equipment and their stuff is used on 5 second dragsters.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Did it 34 years ago, had to cut a section of chassis out to allow the 1 piece shaft to be installed, rear of the X and cut a strip about 3 1/2 to 4" wide and about 8 to 10" long, then a curved brace, my memory has faded a bit, a lot has happened since then.

Critical issues, alignment of uni joints, absolute most critical Dynamic balancing, that car was dead smooth from 1 -140 mph.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Did it 34 years ago, had to cut a section of chassis out to allow the 1 piece shaft to be installed, rear of the X and cut a strip about 3 1/2 to 4" wide and about 8 to 10" long, then a curved brace, my memory has faded a bit, a lot has happened since then.

Critical issues, alignment of uni joints, absolute most critical Dynamic balancing, that car was dead smooth from 1 -140 mph.

Grub, you need to take your med's again your stuttering:laugh:hide

Steve

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Ffffffffffffiixxxed, I I I I I ddddddonnn'tt knnnnnoww wwwwwhhat I I I I ddddid wwwwrong.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ffffffffffffiixxxed, I I I I I ddddddonnn'tt knnnnnoww wwwwwhhat I I I I ddddid wwwwrong.

So when we meet at the convention i wont need a photo of you jjjjjjjust hhaahhhaaave ttttttoo llllisten for you
We should be able to find each other there though as we will be the only ones speaking normal:hide:roll:oops did i say that or just think it

Just kidding guys

Steve

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm working on a boxed - wrinkled frame, it's out from under the car and bare. Now would be the time to cut the frame and weld in the c-channel before the frame is painted.

Does anybody have the dimensions for the cut on the frame (how far towards the front of the car?) and the c-channel(how low does the c-channel need to drop down at the rear of the X?) I've been gathering the parts to convert from an auto to a 4-speed tranny. Thanks

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
tunnel.jpg
I used a 3" piece of plastic pipe to mock mine up (auto). Driveshaft is pretty much centered in the front circle of the tunnel just need to know how far back to start the u-joint drop. You can just cut the bottom plate and heat it up and bend it down as needed to clear with the suspension at the full extension. Cut a wedge of steel for both sides and weld it in.

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for your help Models, :bow I'll have to do a mock up when the time comes. Great idea to use the 3" plastic pipe. :idea My brother is a plumber, I'm sure he has plenty of 3" drain pipe laying around................may have to rinse it out first! :laugh