Stepping Up

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Stepping up

I am going to upgrade my motor from a 375 hp to 425+ hp. I presently have on the car the 817 heads with an Edelbrock small port dual quad intake with dual 500 cfm carbs. I already have the 923/925 exhaust manifolds installed, not going with headers, I really like the factory manifolds The present cam is a L-78 grind which is giving me about 375 horses as I previously mentioned. I have already purchased The 690 heads, $500.00 what a deal. The heads are in excellent condition, in fact, I think what happened with the heads previously is that a rocker stud broke and who ever had the motor just pulled it and set it aside. The QB block that came with the heads is cracked in two places, on either side and up near the heads on the outside, very common. The shop owner is going to lock-n-stitch it, clean it up and sell it. The block is a standard bore block and will clean up really nice. I ordered a cam for it today, it will be the Camcraft 3830690 cam, solid lifter, flat tappet, and ground to 110 degrees lobe separation with +4 degrees advance and a 106 degree intake centerline. The cam is l close to the original 409-425 hp cam. The cam will only take 3-4 weeks and Hunter Webb the General Manger said he had plenty of 409 blanks, USA made. In fact he said he only deals with US Products. He asked me about lifters and said they sell Hi lift Johnson Lifters made in Michigan. I asked about EDM lifters and yes he has those, about $325 for the lifters, the cam is $265 plus shipping. I don’t know that I need the EDM lifters but I think it is money well spent. This project is for next winter, I still need an Edelbrock dual quad large port intake and a few other items, but it is all coming together, no hurry. A great winter project. Any comments?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Not sure what engine block you have, is it the repaired cracked block or something else?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you need 50 more horse power to get ice cream ??? Lol. Sounds like it will be a good one. . I envy your ambition.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Will you be changing mufflers or leave as is . What do you have now??? You say you are looking for that sound??

Last edited:

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I have 40 series flowmaster mufflers on the car, they stay. By changing the cam and the heads and other assorted parts i will get what i beleive is a car that sounds to me like a 409 and I'm gaining 50+ horsepower. As Cecil said i probably could gain the hp by leaving the existing cam and upgrading to the 690 heads. I could, but, i'm not.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Back in the day when I heard a black ss 63 409 425 horse car coming towards me on the street in town main street (summer) all I heard was lifters ,the rumpity rump , and maybe a hint of exhaust. This was a stock new car with no exhaust muffler changed. Approaching it with my vehicle I could hear it a half block away I swear.. And the guys wife was driving to pickup husband as he had a barber shop that he had at the time . I knew the guy. It had that sound!!!!!