Steps to install front upper and lower control arm bushings

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will begin working tonight on my front control arm bushings (64 Biscayne)...would like maybe some help here on installing new bushings without removing the control arms. I"d like to get the uppers done first. This should be pretty straight forward, I just have't found any real good instructions on how to do this job properly.

OH and Napa carries both the upper and lower control arm bushings for these cars. $6.49 each

thanks!

J

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
No way

They don't just come out. I used an air hammer, chissel, and a BFH just to get the old ones out. BFH and an oversized socket to hammer the new ones in. I don't see how you could do it on the car.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Are you replacing bushings or ball joints? Bushings can not be replaced with out removing the control arms from the car. Ask me how I know:doh

An air chisel to drive the old bushing and sleeve out, and a press and lots of lube to install the new ones. Be sure to fully support the back side of the bushing housing when pressing the new bushings in so as to not distort, bend, ruin the control arm.

The up side is that you can clean and repaint the arms much easier when they are off the car:roll

Unless the ball joints are in excellent shape I'd replace them at the same time. If they are secured with rivets, they are original and need to be replaced no matter how good they appear.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are you replacing bushings or ball joints? Bushings can not be replaced with out removing the control arms from the car. Ask me how I know:doh

An air chisel to drive the old bushing and sleeve out, and a press and lots of lube to install the new ones. Be sure to fully support the back side of the bushing housing when pressing the new bushings in so as to not distort, bend, ruin the control arm.

The up side is that you can clean and repaint the arms much easier when they are off the car:roll

Unless the ball joints are in excellent shape I'd replace them at the same time. If they are secured with rivets, they are original and need to be replaced no matter how good they appear.

wow...a lot more work than I thought! I'll be looking for a reputable shop here real soon to do the work since I don't have air tools!

mac1

Well Known Member
Or take a torch and melt the rubber out. Outer sleeve should then come out with a hammer. Do it away from the house as it can really stink up the garage.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What's 'ultra nice' about them?
Is a control arm, by any other name, a control arm?

Take Thee Thine Hammer, Then

I just never heard someone say to scrap a set of control arms in favor of another set of control arms.....just seems crazy if you ask me.:dunno

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Harbor Freight sells a press really cheap, that will pay for itself, just in labor savings. Press em out, press em in. Wax on, wax off.

playswithcars

Well Known Member
Unless you have all the tools required-----don't.

I took mine to a front end shop where the guy I knew (older, like me) used to do them all the time years ago. He did my uppers and lowers for $80. I would probably still be pounding on them. Also aligned the front end after it was back together.