Stone age Rat rides again

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
good run. go get-em tomorrow. I tried to call Dick tonight to see how things were going but I should have called "Mr ELiminator"
robert

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Way to go!:beerbang
That's a terrific time, especially when you consider how warm it is.
I wish I was there.:cry

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
good run. go get-em tomorrow. I tried to call Dick tonight to see how things were going but I should have called "Mr ELiminator"
robert
Robert,
Sorry I missed your call. Verizon doesn't do well around Bowling Green. I seldom get any signal at all at the track.
Can I make up for it with a couple pictures?

Rusty Symmes is in town with his Belair. Verlin Hale has taken it to a couple 9.0 runs.

DSC00002-1.jpg

Russ Campbell has his car and is kickin' butt! Low 8.80s at over 150 mph, but I didn't get a picture. Every time I got near Russ' trailer I got distracted by all the glitter at Allan's trailer. Bob brought a few trinkets to show us. Like this block.

DSC00011.jpg

Allen and Bob. I think they were fighting over who gets to take it home.
:roll
DSC00010.jpg

Bob's heads

DSC00007.jpg

A manifold he just happened to have in the truck with him. Has single and dual quad adapter plates. Beautiful workmanship!

DSC00008.jpg

Allen's "Blue Screamer" and trust me when I say it does scream!

DSC00003.jpg

We are all parked together but I've missed a few pictures. I just noticed I don't have Ray yet and the only one I have of Russ' car is one my son took of some old fat guy sittin' in it. I'll try to do better today.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks for the pictures. Like Jim said "I wish I was there" Maybe tonight we can get more photos.!!!!!!! I would be tugging on the block also. Did he use your cans if so remember I helped with the Rt. 1 can project:roll
robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great photos!

Like Robert said, thanks for the photos, we all wish we could have been there. I'm still at home, grounded for the next few weeks :(. No trip to Carolina this year :(.

But the wife is recovering well from surgery, and I am trying to focus on some projects while here in town.

Good luck in the safe drive back home for all the participants!

TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
yeah guys it's 11:15 P.M. East coast time on Monday night and no photos or results.:cuss:cuss
robert

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Sunday was a bust for me. I hung in there untill 2:00 pm and had not been called to the staging lanes. With that long drive facing me I just couldn't stay. I was a little miffed :cuss, Whats up with that.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The track computers weren't working right on Sunday and the win/lose/red
light lights didn't work. Sunday was a bust for us to. Jim drew Clay Kosmuth
in the first round. Clay is a veteran NSS racer and a killer on a Sportsman
tree. Jim was running the 8.75 index and I think Clay was running the 11.00
index. I looked at Allan (my son) and said "This ain't gonna be good! Jim will
never be able to sit on the line for 2.25 seconds while Clay is driving away".
Sure enough Clay cuts a .005 light and Jim left almost along side of him with a
-.199 RED light. :roll Oh well.... it was a beautiful day in Kentucky!
Allen (George, not my son) drew Russ Campbell. Same situation here. Allan
cuts a good light, Russ left the RED bulb shining.
Neither knew what happened on the line and tried running through. Russ got
loose at about the 300' mark and lifted. Allan got a little loose at about the
1000' mark and lifted but it didn't matter, he had won on the line.
Rusty's car (with Verlin Hale driving) didn't proceed past the first round. I
think (but I'm not sure) that Verlin had a red light also. So, but 3:30 PM we
had all packed up and left Allen to defend the Bow Tie legend. Allen will have
to fill in from here.

I didn't get any pictures from Sunday so I don't have any more shots to post.
I didn't get Ray or Shan. In fact I don't remember seeing Shan on Sunday.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I wasn't able to defend the Bowtie legend. The luck of the draw I got paired with Barry Camp, Yellow 1962 Bubble Top, Lamar Waldron motor, in the next round.
Barry was dialed to the 9.75 index, and me to the 11.00 index. I was late off the tree and Barry got by me at the finish line by inches.
I think Barry won the next round placing him in the semi round.

I had a great week end, parked next to Russ Campbell, Shan and Ray. Bob Walla was there with his collection of shiny parts, had a lot of people looking
and talking.
Allen

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sunday was a bust for me. I hung in there untill 2:00 pm and had not been called to the staging lanes. With that long drive facing me I just couldn't stay. I was a little miffed :cuss, Whats up with that.

Sorry to hear that Ray! :cry I was hoping to see some 60 wheels hanging :D Don't feel bad at least you made to the drags! Everytime I TRY and go it's been
1. Socket breaks off in wheel - 3" in!
2. Motor sucks bronze and dies

I am gaining though of those grimlins!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
60' times were in the 1.8 and change. I am not happy with this but will find out why. Best 60' times I have had are in the high 1.7s before I changed the upper mounts. I have the shocks set at 50/50. I am going to set them at 70/30 and try again.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
60' times were in the 1.8 and change. I am not happy with this but will find out why. Best 60' times I have had are in the high 1.7s before I changed the upper mounts. I have the shocks set at 50/50. I am going to set them at 70/30 and try again.

Might have to play with the new combo. The first passes for me were the same if I remember right. It was alot more agressive. But if the nose is going up it isnt going foward. Didnt really do much to mine after that except some pinion angle changes and air bag pressures. The next race with GOOD air it really liked it. Dropped to low 1.7's. My mph is about the same 108 area except it was in the 12.30/12.20's. Thats good mph for mid 12's. Glad it went well for you.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yeah, I think the air was really crummy that day, hot and humid. I was running with 38 dgs total. maybe I can try 40 dgs. Seems like the car should run better ETs with that kind of speed. I have to figure out how to get it to accelerate faster. It's hard to feel much of anything inside the car when your launching. I wish I had some video of the car launching so I could see whats happening. I'm pretty sure I have achieved my goal of having a true stock stroke 409, 12 sec street car.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I am using a trans brake and a 10" 3800 convertor to get mine to 60'. Probably cheating the #'s with that set up a little. How much does the 60 weigh? Those are pretty strong times for a street car that big. I dont remember what gears you have either. Something to be proud of. Those are some good times!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My converter is called a "space ship converter" that's a 10" converter with a 12" lockup cluch, 2800 stall. Before I added the aluminum intake and "Rodlite" wheels the car weighed 4250 with me in it. Car had ran a best of 12.62 previously and all things being equal should run 12.45. But things change. Engine probably does not seal as well now, the air wasn't as good etc. On a good day I still may be able to run 12.40 and change. Gear is 4.56.