Stuck Passenger Posi Axle

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Any one have any ideas how I can get a stuck axle out? I have been trying an axle remover with a slide hammer for about an hour and cannot get it out. :bang It looks as though the axle bearing is loose and that the axle may be stuck in the posi carrier??? :dunno I got the drivers side out and the splines look slightly twisted. :doh

Thanks-
Brian

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A member here gave me this idea. Use a chain and pipe. Connect the chain to a stud and whip the chain with the pipe. The slid hammer should work as well but I used the chain and pipe method myself.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Any one have any ideas how I can get a stuck axle out? I have been trying an axle remover with a slide hammer for about an hour and cannot get it out. :bang It looks as though the axle bearing is loose and that the axle may be stuck in the posi carrier??? :dunno I got the drivers side out and the splines look slightly twisted. :doh

Thanks-
Brian

Get a bigger slide hammer.

rconnors

I installed a factory 63 posi in my 62 a few weeks ago..........heres how it went...insalled pumpkin then drivers side axle no problem...then went to install passenger side axle and it would not seat all the way in on the spline..so after friggin with it for a while I decided to lock the drivers side axle so it would not turn then took a bar and rotated the passenger side axle that was only seated half way in...after a small bit of a turn it slid in place. Maybe if you reverse this process the axle will come out. All the best.....Maybe DZ will chime in and set you straight

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I have tried everything from the replies as well as everything I can think of and still cannot get it.

The axle and bearing will move in and out about 1/16" but that is it.

Could it be that the axle has twisted in the splines so much that it can't come out?

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Brian

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, Sometimes the axle retainer plate will hang up because 2 or more of the bolts are in a bind. Tap the bolts out of the plate from backside of the backing plate. Then it is a matter of brute strength. Like Ray said, " get a bigger slide hammer". You may use the spring technique and use your imagination. Think big and heavy. The splines are probably twisted pretty good. Clench your teeth and get mean. Dont let that wimpy little axle get the best of you.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Update... I removed the entire rearend from the car. since I will be putting disc brakes on it, i am going to cut the drum back plate off tommorow and go from there. thining about putting the drum on backwards and using a sledge hammer on it!!! :eek:

I am afraid that if I put too much force on it that i will break something in the posi unit....is this possible? I really dont want to break the posi carrier. If worse comes to worse, I am going to cut up the axle housing and disassemble the posi to get the axle out. Anyone in the dallas area have an extra housing they want to get rid of ???? :D

Brian

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, Sometimes the axle retainer plate will hang up because 2 or more of the bolts are in a bind. Tap the bolts out of the plate from backside of the backing plate. Then it is a matter of brute strength. Like Ray said, " get a bigger slide hammer". You may use the spring technique and use your imagination. Think big and heavy. The splines are probably twisted pretty good. Clench your teeth and get mean. Dont let that wimpy little axle get the best of you.

Ronnie-

That is what I thought at first too. I tapped out all of the bolts and still no go... :bang

Brian

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, Since you have the axle assembly out, if you can put it in the back of a truck and drive up here tomorrow ( 1 hour drive ) I will tackle it with a vengence. Nothing special planned tomorrow so it would not be any trouble.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, Since you have the axle assembly out, if you can put it in the back of a truck and drive up here tomorrow ( 1 hour drive ) I will tackle it with a vengence. Nothing special planned tomorrow so it would not be any trouble.

Ronnie-

I think I am going to take you up on your offer. Can you send me your number?
I can be reached at 214-632-6455.

Thanks Ronnie!!!

Brian

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ronnie-

I think I am going to take you up on your offer. Can you send me your number?
I can be reached at 214-632-6455.

Thanks Ronnie!!!

Brian

Ronnie-

I lost my cell phone and just found it. Could you try giving me a call again? I hope its not too late today to work on this.

Thanks again-
Brian

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Battle of Troy !!!

Stuck axle ??????? Biggest understatement ever to be made. Full story with pictures to follow. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL !!!! :roll :roll :roll Well, Upon arrival with the rear at Ronnie's house we attempted to remove the axle with his slide hammer. after 3 or 4 whacks, Ronnie stopped! It was evident to him early on that this axle was not going to come out easily. So, we (Ronnie, Troy (Ronnie's nephew), Cory (Troy's friend) and myself) hauled the axle out to a tree in the backyard. We chained one side to the tree and the other side was chained to the back of Ronnie's late 70's Ford truck. This should take care of that stubborn axle!!! RIGHT!!! Barry Taylor even pulled up a lawn chair to sit back and laugh at us. It was definitely a sight to see. :roll :roll After the first short snatch, the axle didn't even budge! Ronnie backed up a little bit more and tried again.....the only thing that gave way was the chain and the rear went flipping end over end through the air! It literaly opened the links up enough to pass by the head of the bolts! What are we to do now??? :scratch :scratch Well, we could cut the backing plate off and use a sledge hammer to the backside of the axle, Ronnie said. Since I didnt need the backing plate for the disc conversion it was no problem, plus the axle was most likely bad as well. We haul the rear back up to his work shop to cut it off with a torch, only to find out that he is out of Oxygen !!! :bang Troy then proceeds to bend back the backing plate with a maul with very little success. Troy disappears and comes back in about 2 minutes with a long handle axe and siad this should get it!!! troy pounded away on the backing plate and got it laid back. After several whacks, and Bud Light's, Troy finally got the axle out!!!

Upon inspection of the axle, we found that the whole problem was that the O-Ring on the bearing ( this one had 2) was rolling out of the groove and wedging the bearing in the housing, along with a bit of rust.

Thank you Ronnie and Troy for all your help!!! now you can post the pics!

Oh, don't forget to send me the list of things you need, and sorry for breaking your tranny!

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Man, that was a pretty stubborn axle. Way to go Ronnie, wish I had been there to watch. How did the tranny get broke ?

Rusty

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man, that was a pretty stubborn axle. Way to go Ronnie, wish I had been there to watch. How did the tranny get broke ?

Rusty

Well, Ronnie just put a new tranny in and it went out on us when he took me for a spin. Guess it wasn't strong enough to handle that beast of a 409 he has!!!

Brian

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Felt real good in first gear, pulled strong, shifted to second, pulled good, shifted to third. Pretty good for about 2 seconds. Then she just free-wheeled. Slipping like crazy. 481 cu. in. must be too much for turbo 350. At least this one. I have always been skeptical about the trans. builder I used. My bad decision . The "good" parts he was supposed to use didnt get installed. Crummy crook. Still couldn't take away from all the laughs we had with that crazy rear axle assembly. I never knew something that heavy could fly !!! Attached is a picture of the axle. It is amazing that some rust and the o-ring being wedged between the bearing and housing could withstand what we put it through. Nephew Troy is seen with his "trophy" axle in one hand and his special axle removing tool in the other hand. That guy is young and in his prime, but still it took much effort by him swinging the special tool to dislodge the axle. Hope none of our members ever run into this problem again. I have honestly never seen anything like it.

Attachments

• DSCF0545.jpg
    DSCF0545.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 97