Stupid canadian here,,,

37tin

Need some help!! could you buy a 58 chevy 348 made in canada, in 1958? thanks in advance for your help. regards 37tin.

37tin

what?? nobody knows, I tryed GM's site and it seems GM didn't have a manufact place in canada in 1958,, this can't be so,,:dunno :

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Stupid canadian here

37tin,
Best I can come up with is in the 50's GM had.

70 US corp. plants
6 in Canada
16 others in different countries

Can not find what car or truck lines or what they mfg'ed, sorry.

Dave

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Do you have a canadian built 58 chev with canadian vin number? if so send vin to GM Oshawa with $40..00 and they will provide complete history of car and delivery point with options. That is the beauty of Canadian shipped cars, GM Canada has records back until 1948 for everything shipped. This is why canadian big block camaros, novas chevelles have value because there is no monkey business with documentation. Hope this helps with your question.

Kevin

37tin

Thanks ROYALOAK62, no I don't quik9r it was a question that came up at our bench racing session,, man I love those get togethers, with our crazy group, It's A/Gas, nuff said for now...regards 37tin

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd say yes you could buy them, along with a 58 Pontiac with a 348.

Don

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think the Canadian Chevrolet and Pontiac plant on Oshawa was installing 409's in 63, 64 and 65 but I'm not sure about the earlier years. I think all the 1962 409 cars sold in Canada had to be ordered from plants in the USA.:scratch I might be wrong about that though, maybe it was just the SS models that came from the US.:scratch I don't know about the earlier years.

The 58-64 Chevrolet full size, and Pontiac "7000" series were built on the same assembly line in Oshawa, Ontario. All the 63-65 Canadian built cars that were fortunate enough to have been delivered with a 409 ( there were no 61/62 Canadian 409 cars ), had the completed long block imported from the Tonawanda plant. These all carry the same engine number sequence as the 409's that went into U.S. built cars. There were no vehicle serial numbers stamped on ANY of them.

Now, the 348 ?
Wish I could tell for sure.
The stamp number on the pad of a 348 that was in any Canadian built car, 58-61, is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT animal from the 348's in the U.S. cars.... COMPLETELY.
There is no "H" code, ect.
Typically, the Canadian 348 has a "9D", followed by 4 numbers.
I can't for the life of me, figure out what it means. Were they actually cast and assembled in Canada ? Were they maybe just assembled in Canada ? Or were they shipped from Tonawanda with no stamp on them ?
I have no idea:dunno

One final note...
In Canada, there were only the low compression ( 9.5:1 ) 348's available in cars... 250 horse, or the triple 2 bbl 280 horse.
No high compression, no mechanical cams, no aliuminum intakes, no 2 1/2" exhaust manifolds, no "1147" heads.

Hope this was of SOME help:dunno

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
engine number prefix

in Australia we received all 58 through 70 Chevs & Pontiacs CKD from Canada. All 58 & 59's Chevs came with the Blue Flame six. 1960 had either six or 283. 61 to 64 had 283's, the 283 prefix was 9V then a six digit number.
This might be useless info but it lines up with the big block prefix.

just a note very few if not no 348's came to Australia via GM standard import via Canada, these were personal imports, or US Defence personell imports.:cheers