Swap 348 into 1959 apache 3600

348 Patchy build

Well Known Member
I went with a 650 Holley because l couldn’t find an original 4GC carby. My biggest issue is the manifold where it comes in at the back.
The adapters l can see are all just the a square outside adapter. That’s why l was thinking about blocking the exhaust feed ports and adding a plate.

Attachments

• IMG_9530.jpeg
    IMG_9530.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3

348 Patchy build

Well Known Member
So an update for anyone interested. I have the motor built and here with me now. I have a 600 Holley Square bore on it and and an alternator in a generators clothing. I'm now onto installing the flywheel. Does anyone know the flywheel to crankshaft bolt torque spec please.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here's the 348 in my 55 3100. I put a T5 5speed behind it with the stock 3.90 gears and Love it! I bought a new stock V8 throttle linkage which worked fine and used a stock "Big Truck" fan shroud which I plan to extend a couple inches to cover half the fan. The steering box was tight but since my frame was tweeked already, When I used the portapower to straighten it, I gave it a little extra room at the box. Also, I like to use Dodge fan clutches as they have the same bolt pattern as the old Chevys. Good Luck!
NUT

Attachments

• 0814180300.jpg
    0814180300.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 0711181852.jpg
    0711181852.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 16

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here is the 348 in my 55 BelAir. You can see the Dodge 318 fan clutch looks alot like the original 409 one. Also I have been running a Show Cars adapter on this engine for 20 years without plugging the heat riser holes and no issues. I ran stock type heat insulating gaskets above and below the adapter. it took a bit of research to get ones that fit correctly to seal everything up. unfortunately all my notes burned in a shop fire, so I cant provide you with part numbers.
NUT

Attachments

• 1960 348V8 in a 55 Chevy.JPG
    1960 348V8 in a 55 Chevy.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 18

348 Patchy build

Well Known Member
Thanks 348NUT. I now have the carb, clutch and flywheel all bolted up. I also now know the spigot bush for the 348 is slightly smaller OD than a small block one, but the same ID.The next step is to get the new donk back to my truck and fit her up. May need to fabricate some mounts for the SM420. As I’m not sure the cat bell housing has the rear side mounts. But we’ll cross that bridge next.
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.
Can’t wait to get the old boy on the road

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looking good! If you want to eliminate the draft tube. you can get one of these and use an inline pvc valve routed to the carb. It keeps things cleaner. It was stock on 67 Chevys maybe others until they started putting them in the valve cover.
NUT

Attachments

• egp-2245a.jpg
    egp-2245a.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1

348 Patchy build

Well Known Member
Thanks NUT.
I have been thinking about something like that. Not sure how I’m gonna approach it yet. I think I’ll just let it roll for a while and see how it goes. Then maybe go the pcv route if it’s too messy.
Plenty of gravel roads out here mean the truck won’t be a show rig!