T-10 identification

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I was pretty sure that the early Borg Warner T-10s had the iron case and an aluminum tail, but I thought that changed around 1962, and things went "all aluminum" from there on. Here is one example from 1963:

T-10 iron case.jpg

Clearly it has an iron case and aluminum tail. Main case is stamped "T10-1B" and is dated "E 3 63". The tail is "T-10D-7" and dated "5-17-63". Normally the main case has a part number on it, as in "3813490" for a 1963 main case. This one doesn't have said part number cast into it...

Anybody else ever seen one of these with the later (1963) date?

Also this one has an "Inland Tool Mfg" (ITM) shifter and some linkage bolted to it, anyone know anything about those?

Thanks in advance! TomK

Junky

Well Known Member
Searched "Inland Tool Mfg" and a page came up on the HAMB where some say that they came on the Mopars and the Camaro's. Doesn't seem like there is much other information out there on the company. Here is another place that makes reference to it being from a Camaro.. https://www.4speedconversions.com/378264.html

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I had a couple of those shifters and sold them on ebay, they were OE on some Chevrolets, Camaro and Chevelle comes to mind. I dont know about other mfrs.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Aha, I'm gonna look into that Pontiac affiliation, thanks Tom!

I've got another one that has some "extra" stampings on it, maybe from a Corvette?

T-10D aluminum2.jpg

This one is a T10D-1 and #381490 casting dated "3-29-63". It is all aluminum. What's a bit different for me is the stamping of what appears to be a serial number: "S196239" on the edge of the main case by the side plate, along with "WM 2622' whatever that means. The side case is stamped "12-28-62A".

Has an old Hurst shifter and linkage bolted on.

I recall there was a switch over to Muncies during the 1963 year. I wonder if this BW T-10 was in a Corvette from that era?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom, are you sure about the casting date on the main case? That is a 59-61 T-10-1B case which typically only had the month and day but not the year cast. After Jan 61 the T-10-1B case was revised and the casting date and number was cast into the lower front right side of the case instead of the center of the right side as yours is. If it really has 63 date on it I would suspect it is BOP application as it would not be typical of Chevy case castings. If there is no 63 cast on it then I would suspect the main case was replaced with an earlier one or the tailshaft housing was replaced on an earlier trannsmission with the later version.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm looking into the possibility that it might have been BOP in origin. It is a cast iron main case and the cast date is very clearly "E 3 63". I think the tail date matches the main case date pretty close. There's no Bowtie cast into it. Maybe it was in an Olds F85 :) :) :).

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Aha, I'm gonna look into that Pontiac affiliation, thanks Tom!

I've got another one that has some "extra" stampings on it, maybe from a Corvette?

View attachment 86015

This one is a T10D-1 and #381490 casting dated "3-29-63". It is all aluminum. What's a bit different for me is the stamping of what appears to be a serial number: "S196239" on the edge of the main case by the side plate, along with "WM 2622' whatever that means. The side case is stamped "12-28-62A".

Has an old Hurst shifter and linkage bolted on.

I recall there was a switch over to Muncies during the 1963 year. I wonder if this BW T-10 was in a Corvette from that era?
That one is a 63 only version and if it has a small front bearing retainer than it is Corvette or pass car. Large retainer = 409.
WM 2622 is the assembly stamp as follows:
W=Warner Gear
M=Month of December
26=Day of December
2 =Year of assembly
2=Second shift
The side cover date verifies that it is 63 model year and if there is a metal tag attached to the side cover it wil tell you the application and gear ratio.
The VIN number indicates a St Louis built car or Corvette.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'll go check again, but I think the retainer was 4.75" which I believe to be the larger one. So it was from a St. Louis car with a 409 that was not a Corvette. Could it have been one of the higher horse 327s?

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I have a T10 with a cast iron main case with an A 4 63 cast on the side. The tail shaft is aluminum T10-7D with the date pad blank. Side plate is aluminum with date 10-3-62. Have no idea if they originally came as a set.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So what is wk2133? In know the wk now but what's the other20200830_180657.jpg20200830_180627.jpg20200830_180627.jpg

Attachments

• 20200830_180647.jpg
    20200830_180647.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 5

427John

Well Known Member
I was pretty sure that the early Borg Warner T-10s had the iron case and an aluminum tail, but I thought that changed around 1962, and things went "all aluminum" from there on. Here is one example from 1963:

View attachment 85993

Clearly it has an iron case and aluminum tail. Main case is stamped "T10-1B" and is dated "E 3 63". The tail is "T-10D-7" and dated "5-17-63". Normally the main case has a part number on it, as in "3813490" for a 1963 main case. This one doesn't have said part number cast into it...

Anybody else ever seen one of these with the later (1963) date?

Also this one has an "Inland Tool Mfg" (ITM) shifter and some linkage bolted to it, anyone know anything about those?

Thanks in advance! TomK
The ITM shifter in your pic has a bayonet type handle attachment,I've had a couple of those over the years they look similar to a hurst comp plus and the ones I had came off of second generation F-bodies one camaro and one trans am I believe they were used on super T-10's I don't know if they also were used on muncie or saginaw 4spds,they also made a 3 speed version I've had one of those pretty much looked like the 4 spd except for the lack of the 3rd arm.