THE Holy Grail..........................

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Received this yesterday!!!! After 30 years of looking.......and seeing pictures and reading atricles about this........I finally have one!!!! Have never even seen a real one in person before. This is a FACTORY installed Z-11 camshaft.
Thanks goes to Cecil for his post about meeting Doug Hughes at the swap meet. Cecil mentioned that Doug had an "autographed" camshaft. That could only mean one thing!! In talking with Doug....he said there were only 115 of these made.....one in each of the engines and then each car owner was given a spare. The cam is engraved on the back end with the number 3837736 and "EONIC"........the name of the man who ground these cams for Chevrolet. He etched the part number and his name on all the cams with a metal etching pen. These are the forerunners of the 64-65 Z-11 camshaft that were available over the counter and in the 64-65 HIPO engines.
The very first lobe is flat but Doug said that Isky can "spray" metal to build it up so hopefully I can have it repaired. I want to make this camshaft useable again.z11cam1.jpgz11cam2.jpgz11cam3.jpgz11cam4.jpg

Thanks again to Cecil and Doug!! Doug has an extensive history in the 60's on up with all the Hi-Perf Chevy engines including the Myster Motor. He is a walking encyclopedia of Chevrolet High Performance engines. He's "been there and done that" many times!! Thanks Doug...this is a 4-star day for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Phil, Pat here, I should have told you when you came to the dealership I sold Doug that camshaft with the bad lobe back in the 1980's along with lots of Z11 stuff. To put a little more history with that camshaft, it came out of the Z11 car my friend bought that was Dick Harrells. Yep, that's where it came from. I even called Eonic back in the 1980's to see if they had the profile for the cam I wanted to have it rebuilt. To verify, ask Doug if he got it from me, hard to believe there would be that many around with a bad lobe!!!! Sorry I did not mentioned it, my fault. Call if you would like any more info I might be able to add, Pat.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:cool: Phil that is neat. I would keep that one just as it is and have one ground for that profile when you have the rest of the Z11 parts.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would keep that one just as it is and have one ground for that profile when you have the rest of the Z11 parts.

Now there's an idea I like........ just have the profile copied and put the original on the wall..........

Dave

oil4kids

Well Known Member
to add more mystery to this cam a 62 Impala named Black thunder which came out of Jim Rathmann Chevrolet was supposed to have the first nhra approved Z11 Cam, as you know Jim Rathmann has owned Chevrolet dealerships in Palm Bay and Melbourne, Florida. Mr. Rathmann is now retired from the car business. He is currently the oldest living winner of the Indy 500. and was very positional with Chevrolet,,,,

now if Dick Harrell had this cam it was probably out of the Bill Thomas shop

No409

Supporting Member 1
to add more mystery to this cam a 62 Impala named Black thunder which came out of Jim Rathmann Chevrolet was supposed to have the first nhra approved Z11 Cam, as you know Jim Rathmann has owned Chevrolet dealerships in Palm Bay and Melbourne, Florida. Mr. Rathmann is now retired from the car business. He is currently the oldest living winner of the Indy 500. and was very positional with Chevrolet,,,,

now if Dick Harrell had this cam it was probably out of the Bill Thomas shop

there was just a 61 ss 409 car on ebay, in florida, and if you read the whole story, the guys uncle was Jim Rathmann, and he told the story about having a NHRA approved cam in his 62. Something along the lines of winning on a sun, and they told him dont worry about a teardown, that will have a factory part number on monday. Pretty cool story. The car for sale looked like a clone though