The thrash is on!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Freakin heat wave today, 30 dgs. In the garage all morning, engine is ready to pull. I have a young ASI. mechanic coming over at 4:00 PM to help me with the hood removal and pulling the engine. Parts are all coming together, some assembly required! Ordered jets, rods, gaskets, step up springs from AutoZone. Found a trick 1" spacer made by Specture. Aluminum with a phelonic plastic throttle bore center. You have the option of a four hole spacer or an open spacer all in the same package. I have a lot of reading to do before I add any spacer.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Don't fit.

Carb spacer says it's for AFB along with other carbs. Tried it on the 881 manifold, it doesn't fit. Back to the drawing board!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Sealing the carbs.

This is the part Curt Harvey says to use or you will have vacuum leaks. That part I get, but how can this open plate help performance wise? You have a gasket on the manifold, the plate and then another gasket and then the carb. This will lift the carb an 1/8" or better off the manifold. Will the charge now be shared from both sides of the carb through this narrow gap beween the manifold divider? Curt says use this part or a 1" spacer. What are you guys using? I may make a 1" spacer using this as a pattern.

Attachments

• edl-2732.jpg
    edl-2732.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 112

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Discussion at Salee Chevy board

This is a on going arugument. A 4 hole spacer will give you more torque on a dual plane manifold and a open will give you more in the top end.

spacer's work best if the are 1/2" to 1" in height. An open is best for a single plane manifold, as it incresses penum volume to give you a better signal to the card and stop reversion.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Dond409 said:
Ray,

I have the 1 inch open spacer too.

I'm starting to lean in that direction now!:scratch My cam is rated from 2200 to 6200, with the 1.8 ratio rollers, maybe a shade more. I figure on shifting at no more than 6200, would the open spacer be for me?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If I use the 1" open I want to use Phenolic plastic. Anyone have a part # for 1" open Phenolic plastic spacers that will fit my 881 manifold and tha 600 cfm Carter comp series carbs?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
If using the phenolic spacer make sure the crossover port is plugged in the intake. The plastic can't take the heat.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
As far as rpm is concerned, I pegged my 8,000 tach once last year. Not on purpose but it did happen. Will be hooking up my blue wire on my msd box. The blue wire is for the soft touch rev limiter.:brow Hope this thing holds together for Kentucky!As long as the engine is balanced and lighter reciprocating mass, I see no reason 6500-7000 is not safe. Lord Knows I regularly shift 7000-7400.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Wow!!!!!!!

Brian,

That seems really high for a 4 inch arm. I usually shift mine at 6200 to 6400. I have the rev limiter set for 6800. Stock crank in mine.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Dond409 said:
Brian,

That seems really high for a 4 inch arm. I usually shift mine at 6200 to 6400. I have the rev limiter set for 6800. Stock crank in mine.

Don are you running with stock 409 rods?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
rpm

Thats what everybody tells me. The car pulls harder everytime you grab a gear. Will be neat to try my 4.11 gears and bfg drag radials out this spring! Also looking at other driveline upgrades for Kentucky. Does anybody want to buy a kidney!:D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ray and Don, I tried the alum 1" spacers and didn`t notice any reduction in heat.
The carbs still seemed very hot to me.
This is when I made the purple heart wood spacers.
This wood is hard as rock and haven`t had a problem since installing them.
If you look closely at the inside of the spacers you can see where the router blade was burning up due to the woods density.
I used the plate that Ray showed as a pattern.dq

58981564.jpg

57858338.jpg

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Carb. spacers

Ray,

Trans-Dapt Performance, tdperformance.com, has phenolic 1" spacers for AFB carbs.