Think of Cool Car names

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I was thinking back to the 60s and 70s to all the cool car names running around the Chicago area. I think I would like to hear some of your favorites and what they refered to. Such as: 1969 Blue SS396 Chevelle (Blue Persuasion), 1970 Nova BBC (Rat Infested), 1968 Mustang 289, Owners name was Eli (Eli's Comming), 55 Chevy BBC (SHAFT Bad Mother-----r), 1969 Nova SBC (Mighty Mouse), 1953 Studebaker BBC (Yosemite Sam) owner name Sam. Lots of others, but the most feared in Chicago around the early 70s was a 427 Chevelle with a clutch-turbo named (Street Cleaner). I lined up once to race this guy with my Nova not knowing who it was and during the burnout on Mannheim Rd. I saw his front tire go by window. Should have just paid him then and saved the wear and tear in my car. Wasn't even a race. Three honks on the horn and it was tail lights for me.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My 57 is called Twice as Nice because,I have a classic 409 in a Classic 57 Chevy.Another reason is because the 57 has been painted twice and the interior has been changed twice.From 1980 to 1990 the 57 was red with red interior,the 57 was called Wild Cherry.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My favorite is "Prehistoric Rat" The 348 powered Elco of John Sauer. I wanted to use that name for my 60 Impala but used "Stone Age Rat" instead . We had a 68 Chevell here in Ashtabula Oh. with a aluminum block 427 four speed stick. Car was solid white, in and out. Car was called "Casper" Ran him with my 64 Vette, 327 four gear. Pulled him through third gear, then it was Chevell taillights. Car was flawless.The guy a friend of mine still has the engine, car is long gone! Another car local, was a Duster 340. Car was the color "Plumb Crazy" Name was "Goofy". Cool fast car.

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
I call my 61 409 NICKEL AND DIMES
I have made custome air cleaners with the name cut in the tops of the cleaners

Instead of saving my pennies and dimes like the song I changed it

plus when running on the back carb. its nickels (really dollars ) when you stick your foot to the floor its dimes ( 5 dollars bills ):roll

roger:cheers
61 impala bubbletop
409 425 hp
4 speed
factory a/c

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Green '55 B/G Chevy named "Try to catch this Leprechaun" and Doug Marion's '62 409 "Chevy Charger" that raced N.IL and S. WI area.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
models and Jim,there is a group called the Chicago Outlaws that put on a match race,at every Super Chevy Show.There 8 street legal Chevy's,that do big wheel stands and do 8 seconds in the 1/4 mile.Do you guys know these Outlaws,they put on a Good show :D

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Certainly not on the street but my fave was "Shake,Rattle & Run" 57 Chevy Gasser...its still lives.

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim Kwi, yes, I've talked to the "outlaw" guys at I.R.P. a few times. They are serious and very committed to putting on a great show. :clap

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim,yes they do put on a great show,how would you like to pull up at a street light next to one of these guys and they pull a wheel stand hole shot on you :eek: :eek:

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Names

In 62 a black 62 Impala 409 convertible with a white top raced at Niagara......:)
The name was 'CONFUSION' and this was because it was towed by a
black 62 Impala 327 Hardtop wiith a white top...........:cool: :cool:

bj:cheers

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Models wasn't there a 63 white Nova named mighty mouse that used to run at Oswego?
Ray
PS Not out Chicago and not a Chev but how about the orange 57 full size merc that ran there"the big animal" won run ruff just about every week.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
sounds familiar

I hung around Da Grove mostly. Raced in Unit Stock. Cubes to Weight Class with a spot for 2bl, 4bl, and multi., 7" slicks. There was a 55 Chevy in the class, 292 with 2bl running in the 11's. Red color, called Old Ugly. Won most of the time. Talked to him years later and the trick was to run a 6:13 gear and a valve train to take the rpm. Run out of poop half track, but the ET was there. I do remember an early nova in the pro stock class called Barbarian (White). Oswego track is still in the weeds I believe. Haven't been up there for years. Switched to Santa Fe Speedway racing mid 70's. Clay oval and brutal on engines.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
How about Sauna

I do remember Dick Sauna and the Sauna Cycle at Oswego. 100 hp 6 cyl Mercury outboad powered bike that sounded and looked wild.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I used to go to Oswego both to watch and later to race. I remember both Mighty Mouse and The Big Animal. I also ran at a little outlaw dragstrip in Wi. called Lake Geneva Dragway. Anyway a SS Dodge, I think a 1963, named Spartacus won most of the time in "Run Tuff". But the best named car I can remember was a Plymouth Lancer named Lamb Chop. The car street raced at a drive-in named Skips and was owned by a sexy girl and across the truck was written "Beat Me Eat Me". Don't know if she ever lost :dunno.

Tony

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Spartacus

Spartacus is still floating around Melrose Park somewhere. I remember racing at Lake Geneva 1969 or 1970 and if the drags took too long the Circle track guys would just start practice on the circle track that ran across the strip while we were still racing. Kind of a nice quite track with 18 year old beer law in Wisconsin.

munger345

When I was racing my 62 409 SS [1962-68] I used the name, "Keep- A-Knockin". It got lots of comments. In 1969 we put the engine and drive train in a 62 9 pass. wgn. I was going to call it "Knockin-Too", but my sponsor wanted to change the name. At that time the ready to use dessert topping, Cool Whip had just hit the market. They flooded the T.V. with their commercials. The little jingle they always played," You Whip All The Others But You Don't Beat Cool Whip" really grabbed my sponsor. He loved it, so the car was named Kool Whip. I was supprised at the number of people who connected the car name with the words in that stupid commercial.

Eldon

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So then I guess models had to race against that burgundy 66 camaro of Izzo huh.
Hey can I borrow "just-a knockin" on my 5.7 ^&%*(% suburban?
Ray

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tony Izzo

Hard to beat Tony (66). Jim O'Connor (8) was a close match. The sign for Sana Fe is still out by the train tracks.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
a name I always remembered in the Maryland area(Eastern Shore) during the early 60's was "Mother-in-Law" a 61 3X2 Bubbletop that was damn hard to beat. We learned later that when he was in Fl for the air force he had put one those feared 409's in it. Back then No ONE knew it!!!!