Thompson Event

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Unfortunatly, I had to leave Sunday morning to get home to make an important doctor's appointment on Monday. Therefore I missed all the goingings on for Sunday. In the two days that I was there, I did have a months worth of fun I got to put faces with names, meet some new folks, ask some questions and see more 409 carsin one spot than what I did in the mid sixtys!!!! It was great-cant wait 'till we do it again. I don't think the words THANK-YOU are near enough to say to all that had a hand in this. There was a lot of time spent putting this all togeather and to all involved THANK-YOU,THANK-YOU,THANK-YOU- thats the best I can come up with. I will have my car at the next gathering, weather it be Thompson or elsewhere.
This brings up another subject, how much intrest would there be in maybe another event in the midwest next year? My son knows a man directly conected with the Tulsa dragstrip. They are friends and I plan on speaking with him on my next trip to see the grandkids in Tulsa, or maybe we could get into a nostalgia event elsewhere if thats what the majority wants to do. If the intrest is there for a midwest event, I'll do some talking, tell some lies, do whatever it takes to get it going. Maybe this way, some who just couldn't make Ohio, could make this one, I know you won't be sorry you did. Let me know what yea all think of this and we'll go from there. Again a heart felt Thank-you to all involved in last weekends event. Mike

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Unfortunatly, I had to leave Sunday morning to get home to make an important doctor's appointment on Monday. Therefore I missed all the goingings on for Sunday. In the two days that I was there, I did have a months worth of fun I got to put faces with names, meet some new folks, ask some questions and see more 409 carsin one spot than what I did in the mid sixtys!!!! It was great-cant wait 'till we do it again. I don't think the words THANK-YOU are near enough to say to all that had a hand in this. There was a lot of time spent putting this all togeather and to all involved THANK-YOU,THANK-YOU,THANK-YOU- thats the best I can come up with. I will have my car at the next gathering, weather it be Thompson or elsewhere.
This brings up another subject, how much intrest would there be in maybe another event in the midwest next year? My son knows a man directly conected with the Tulsa dragstrip. They are friends and I plan on speaking with him on my next trip to see the grandkids in Tulsa, or maybe we could get into a nostalgia event elsewhere if thats what the majority wants to do. If the intrest is there for a midwest event, I'll do some talking, tell some lies, do whatever it takes to get it going. Maybe this way, some who just couldn't make Ohio, could make this one, I know you won't be sorry you did. Let me know what yea all think of this and we'll go from there. Again a heart felt Thank-you to all involved in last weekends event. Mike

Mike,
I like Tulsa....only a 2 day drive for me.:deal
:D

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe after we let these guys rest, a well deserved rest, what would everyone think about someone doing a map with stickpins located on it for the hometowns of those that showed up and picking a central point for them. It was only 8 hrs for me, and I have no qualms about returning to Thompson, they were very good to us. But it might be fairer to some who towed long distances. I believe Ronnie and Brian liked the idea of returning and I don't know of anyone towing farther than they did???

Cecil, What would you do with the rest of your time, after with Tulsa between Kansas City and Texas Phil already has that area pretty cleared out. By the way are you in his shop yet? I need some parts.:roll:roll:roll

Safe trip

Ray

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, the last time you went anywere in a straight line was when you were flying.
A trip to Tulsa would take you at least a week, we will see how long it takes you to get back to Arizona. Say hello to Phil. Larry

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
He doesn't know it yet, but I plan to sneak up on Phil tomorrow.:eek:
I can't wait to get the keys to his shop.:cool: You guys all read it here when he said he was going to give me the keys.,,,,,,Hmmmm, wonder how much weight my little 1/2 ton truck can handle?:scratch
:stooges

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
1500 Miles Closer

Tulsa, would be 1500 miles closer for me, I could make that trip with the car no problem. Thompson was GREAT fun and we'll try to make it next year where ever the group goes, but I sure would like to have a car there !!!!

Let's start planning something as soon as everyone has a chance to collect their thoughts and belonging after this past weekend.

Bill

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
How many 348/409 cars did you guys have?

I was wondering the same thing.:scratch
I know we had 28 registered to race but two dropped out due to minor problems. Of the 26 that raced two were big blocks.
My guess is we might have had over 40 348/409 cars there.
We might have to do a roll call style thread to get a proper number.
Next time I think we'll try to get a sign in sheet going and maybe take a photo of each car just for the record.
We also had a LOT of 348/409 club members that came without cars.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
He doesn't know it yet, but I plan to sneak up on Phil tomorrow.:eek:

Man.........I'm glad you said something!! I haven't fed the pit bull guard dog all week so I better get him in a good mood!!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you have been able to pick up "for us" Cecil!!!!

Have you got all my numbers Cecil or do I need to PM them to you??????

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Portland OR to Thompson OH,,
Total Estimated Time: 37 hours 13 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 2497.36 miles

Portland OR to Tulsa OK,,,
Total Estimated Time: 28 hours 26 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 1941.55 miles

Hummmmmm,,

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would agree with you DQ........ HHhhmmmmm .........either one is a long drive huh ???? Probably not much difference from here to either one.

Dave

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Tulsa

Man I'll take Tulsa, Okla. It is only about a 6 hour trip for me as opposed to the 2400 mile round trip I just took. again, thanks guys.:bow

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
I would hav eto go with W HEAD
8 hr trip for me instead of 24 hr driving

I would even bring the car

lets see what we can do and put the next event more in the central part of the
U.S.

Roger

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Plan for both?

There were a lot of folks who travelled both East and West (and North and South as well) to make it to Thompson, OH. This location and this particular venue was well suited to a lot of the members, but I can sympathize with those who came long distances from the West.

It might be that we have two separate venues next year, one at Thompson so the East Coast contingent can attend, and another elsewhere to make it attractive to others, such as those who flew in to Thompson without their vehicles.

One thing we have to remember is that these events can be a bit like the Olympics, where every four years THE BIG EVENT occurs and in between we train and build up for the event at smaller venues. The reason I mention this is we had our previous Big Event in KC about 5 years ago, and since then have held events at the likes of Norwalk and Thompson, but it was only THIS year that we had superb attendance. The previous events at Norwalk, with similar times and location, drew about one third of what we just experienced.

Not sure what that means, but I do know it takes time and costs money to attend one of these events. For me, I would go back to Thompson next year AND consider another MidWest venue as well. Just a thought.

What do you guys think?

TomK

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Having gone to the Convention I can relate to how much fun those that went to Thompson had !!!

But,,,saying that, I can also relate to not being there and missing all the fun including the BS`ing and meeting the new friends.:cry

The Convention was and will continue to be one of the high lights of my life:clap

I`m sure those of you that missed the Convention but got to go to Thompson have that same feeling and those of us that missed Thompson feel the void of not being there.

These events are something very special!!!:hug

Thanks for the videos and pictures!!!:clap

I will work very hard and try to attend one in the near future,,,,

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We had a great time !!!!

Well, I thought I'd post a note about how much fun we had at Thompson !!! Linda and I arrived late on Thursday/Friday morning (0200 AM) and it was go, go, go and fun, fun, fun from then on.

It was so great to meet everyone and put some faces with the names, but I have to admit that I didn't get everyone and their user name linked up. :dunno I don't know where you could get a better group of people together ? Everyone just accepted us like we were old friends back after a long absence. I had never been to an event like this or to the drag strip for that matter, so I had plenty of questions and everyone took time to explain what was happening or coming up.

Linda had a smile on her face from the time we got there and kind of forgot about leaving to do other things like we talked about. Between, her, me or Greg Goodrum, it was hard to tell who was having the most fun, the smiles were ear to ear !! So many nice, friendly people, I won't try to list them, but a BIG THANKS for letting us share your weekend fun !:clap:hug Big thanks to the Ford family for the hospitality, conversation, and the shade and comfortable chairs, at just the right time.

We will be planning to attend the next event where ever it is scheduled. I will plan to bring the car next time even if we have to travel to Thompson. I may only drive up and down the pits, but I'm going to have something besides a Toyota !!!

Bill and Linda Nuttall

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Boy is sounds like you guys had one heck of an event. I sure would like to make next year.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Boy is sounds like you guys had one heck of an event. I sure would like to make next year.

I'm with you Dan