Tire gauge accuracy

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, what's up with tire gauges these days?

I have about 5 of them and they all read differently! :bang

I just bought a new one and it's 10 lbs higher than the other 4.

So just how does one know if a tire gauge is accurate? Is there a way to verify? Probably a silly question but thought I'd ask... :scratch

Bob

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob-

I'm with you on this one. I checked the tire pressure in my 2004 Yukon and got them all equal. 2 days later, OnStar sends me a monthly report showing my tire pressures are inconsistent. :scratch :dunno

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
buy a good one stop buying the ones on the counter at parts store

Where do you buy a good one? And how would I know if it is a good one??

Bob, I am with you on this one, i just went through the exact same thing.
I have four different tire pressure gauges and they are all reading differently.
:scratch

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I bought a digital tire gauge from a Brookstone store. It has the same readings as the internal tire pressure sensors on my 2007 Tahoe.

Dave

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I check tire pressure's on my Grand Marquis every couple of days. The wheels have leaked air, ever since I've owned this car. I have even filled all 4 with tire sealer, to prevent losing air. I also have two or three tire gauges. The other day I was filling all the tires, and the right rear had 38 pounds in it. Now I understand, the thumping noise. I wouldn't put 38 lbs. in any tire. I guess my Accu-Gage isn't accurate anymore.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, something about those Marquis and leaking rims. Had a ***** of a time with those at the store for years. We usually ended up dismounting all four tires and buffing the rubber bead and the edge of the rim clean and applying a tire rubber sealer to the bead. That would usually hold for a year or so. And we routinely inflated all tires (passenger) on the machines to 35 psi!! But never 38. We found that at 35 the tires wore better and we had less complaints about fast wear out. :brow

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
guess I have been lucky. Never lost an ounce in mine, and have had several sets over the years. 1998 ,,, Maybe the older wheels were different. :dunno

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Walt; I've done that every other year, since I've had this car (1999). When I take the tires off, the rim is never dirty or rusted. Can't figure it out. The car is an 86. From the outside, the rims look like aluminum. When the tire is off, the bead area looks like steel. ????? Skip

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds familiar Skip, what tires are you using. We found that Michelin were the ones that leaked more than others!? When you dismount the tires is there a white chalky residue on the rim bead and the tire bead? This seems to be a michelin thing. I actually had a older lady that got fed up with this and bought all new steel replacement rims and never had the problem again! GM had a similar problem with their chrome flaking on the bead. No fix for this. GM says to replace the rims. This was common on Buicks for a few years. :dunno:dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Since everything in Texas is bigger, the air molecules are bigger too and can't leak out:roll:roll:roll

Sorry Ronnie and the rest of our Texas family, that was just to easy to pass up:hug

But I thought HOT AIR was thinner ???:roll