turn signal question

kingudaroad

I no longer have three distinct positions as in rt, left and off. There is a lot of play and often times the lever seems to be off but it is on just enough to either make the brake lights not work, or leave one side of the taillights on.

Do I just need a new switch? I have also seen a turn signal rebuild kit for sale. Should I try to get NOS? I'm sure it has never been replaced before. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keith, I think the switch for the 61 is adjustable. The switch mounting holes are slotted so you can move the sw. with some side to side movement. You may experiment with that and make improvement.

kingudaroad

Hmmm, did not know that. It amazes me how many small components can be fixed in these old cars. I guess we just get programmed to replacing unfixable stuff in this new age of technology.

Thanks for the advice!:)

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keith-

Your problem sounds to me like it may be the mechanism behind the stering wheel. When they wear out, they exhibit the same behavior you described. You should be able to repair it with turn signal repair kit. NOS should not be necessary.

506017.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Is that anything like a "loose nut behind the wheel"? :D

Keith-

Your problem sounds to me like it may be the mechanism behind the stering wheel. When they wear out, they exhibit the same behavior you described. You should be able to repair it with turn signal repair kit. NOS should not be necessary.