What 4 speed shifter to use with a T-10

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
The shifter on my 62 t-10, i think is a hurst, i cut down the repro shift arm.. looks great, but mechanism is terrible..i can keep trying to do more adjustments.. but was thinking there was a better shifter i can use, and still keep the stock look...any recommendatons.. hurst makes a competetion plus.. but looks too high to stay within the stock boot.. Its a bench seat, non SS...

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hurst Shifter

Can't say for sure on a 62, but I put a competition Hurst Shifter in my 63 with a console, and it looked and fit just fine. Worked a heck of a lot better than a stock shifter. I'm sure you will get some answers as to a 62, though. I would think it would fit OK.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mine fits

I put a Hurst Competition unit in my 1962 SS car when I switched it over to a four speed. It's a bucket seat car with a console, but the lever fits fine in the boot and she shifts sooooo much better than that cool looking spaghetti shifter :).

Not sure how the lever would fit in a bench seat car. It does not look like the original, but the mechanism is much improved!

Good luck,
TomK

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
Did you guys adapt the stock shfter to the mechanism

Did you guys use the entire hurst unit orwere you able to use the hurst mechamism with the stock shift arm..I want to keep a stock look....

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
replacement unit

I went with the entire replacement Hurst competition unit. I did keep that stock look, but that one stays on the bench :).

The original "spaghetti shifter" looks cool on the bench seat applications, but IMHO doesn' t look so good in the bucket seat/console (SS) applications. The Hurst not only shifts better, but it looks better in a bucket seat car. My 2 cents.

Best,
TomK