Wheel Wells

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Whos not running wheel wells? I'd like to see some pics.

This car got me wondering: http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1410-1960-chevy-parkwood-wagon-are-you-serious/

1960-chevy-parkwood-engine-side-view.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm not. I have an old underhood shot, but it's not pretty.
l_e0da60c4fcc637a144fdd93e0d936533.jpg

I wouldn't recommend putting many street miles on a car without inner fenders as you'll have a terrible mess in no time at all. Sure makes working on the car a lot easier so it's a good deal for a drag car.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also, I'm not sure about the passenger side, but there is plenty of room on the driver's side of that 60 for the inner fender to go in un-cut. It wouldn't hide any of his "trick" parts either.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Probably what 100lbs. worth of wheel wells? My '59 has about 100 bolts per side too.

My s10 didnt have them and it really wasnt a big deal. Didnt get as messy as I thought it should.

bobs409

Administrator
I would never do that on a street car. All the little stones & dirt flying off the tires! You'll be sand blasting and destroying anything in their path. :badidea

I am working on a pair of original inners for my 63 and they aren't heavy. They are just pressed/formed 19ga sheetmetal and maybe 10 bolts per side if that?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would never do that on a street car. All the little stones & dirt flying off the tires! You'll be sand blasting and destroying anything in their path. :badidea

I am working on a pair of original inners for my 63 and they aren't heavy. They are just pressed/formed 19ga sheetmetal and maybe 10 bolts per side if that?
:yup I wouldn't even want to be without them on a 90% strip / 10% street car that only got driven to the store a couple miles a few times a year or something like that. Any underhood clean or detail would be crap in no time.

Bob's also correct in that they do not weigh very much at all. VFN makes fiberglass ones for some years of our cars, but I doubt there is more than 10 pounds to be saved for the pair.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just put the very same upper arms on today. I got mine on eBay from cpp.Nice arm"s anxious to see how it drive"s now.

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
See Dave's thread from about a week ago. I never weighed my hood by itself, but it with the hinges, latch, support, etc. I removed all of it at the same time and replaced it with a pin-on that weighed 9 pounds. The car lost about 100 pounds even. Unless it is for an all out drag car I think I would go with a bolt on hood and keep my latch & hinges. Should still save 30 to 40 pounds I bet.