Which engine color?

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Hey , 55Brodie, can you tell me where the engine numbers are stamped on the blocks of a 272, 292, and the 312 Ford engines. I have an engine that I was told, came out of a 1956 Crown Victoria. The numbers that are stamped on the front of both HEADS, are RC5-7159. I was also told that if there is a soft plug on the front of the heads, it is a 272 engine. How can you tell the correct engine you are looking at?? Help if you can. Thanks, Mike
I didn't mean to hijack this thread but here is a site that can answer most of your y-block questions.

427John

Well Known Member
Hey , 55Brodie, can you tell me where the engine numbers are stamped on the blocks of a 272, 292, and the 312 Ford engines. I have an engine that I was told, came out of a 1956 Crown Victoria. The numbers that are stamped on the front of both HEADS, are RC5-7159. I was also told that if there is a soft plug on the front of the heads, it is a 272 engine. How can you tell the correct engine you are looking at?? Help if you can. Thanks, Mike
Any stamped numbers you find on the block probably won't mean anything except for possibly the engine assembly date, the numbers you want to find are the casting numbers they will be cast into the iron just like on chevy blocks, It will start with a 3 letter prefix like EBD or ECZ something like that, then it will usually have a 4 digit number in the case of an engine block it will be 6010 or 6015 and for cylinder heads it should be 6090 and then it will be followed by a 1 or 2 letter suffix, there are cases where where the middle 4 digits won't be present so instead of seeing for example ECZ-6090-A it would appear as ECZ-A, those casting numbers can be used to identify a 312 block from a 292 or 272 the same with the heads the 312 usually used castings specific to them while the 272 and 292's sometimes shared head castings, even the connecting rods and crankshaft will have casting or forging numbers on them that will separate 312 stuff from 272-292 stuff.