Which motor oil?

RPO587

Supporting Member 1
Just curious. What are you guys using in your W engines? Straight-weights, multis, synthetics, racing oils? What's in your engine and why?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Oil preference.

5W50 Mobile 1 full synthetic. I don't think there is a finer lube made. I have torn down three of my Ws after running Mobile 1. Bearing surfaces looked like the day I put them in. Synthetic oil does not break down like Dyno oil. Claims are backed by scientific studies. I'm sold!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
RPO587,,, Since this is a general question, I dont think I can get in too much trouble. Simple answer------When I was 19 yrs old I started using Valvoline 30 wt. Have never changed, after seeing under intake during cam change after many miles. 58 yrs old now and am still using it. I dont think it is one iota better than any other major brand, but when I find a product I am happy with, I stay with it. As far as weight--- 30 wt works well in this part of the country, and again, have never found a reason to change.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have to correct ,,,,, viscosity not weight!!!! I know someone was fixing to come down on me for that mistake.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I use Shell Rotella T 15-40 because that's what we use in our big diesel truck engines, so I've got alot of it on the shelf. It seems to work. :dunno I do like synthetic oils and greases though, especially in transmissions and rear ends. They really work well during our cold winters.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
No Doubt About It !!!!!!!!!

fatride said:
5W50 Mobile 1 full synthetic. I don't think there is a finer lube made. I have torn down three of my Ws after running Mobile 1. Bearing surfaces looked like the day I put them in. Synthetic oil does not break down like Dyno oil. Claims are backed by scientific studies. I'm sold!

If you've ever read about the lab analysis done by Lubrizol, You would never go back...

In a nutshell, Penna Crude is full of pot ash, :eek: so Q-State is out
Most others have a significant amount of Parafin Wax in it... Which is where the sludge comes from.

ADVANCED FORMULA MOBIL-1 :D That's the choice for me !!!

Rock :cool:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
stop in some time

Drop into Chicago around January and I will give you a demonstration of Mobil 1 at work in the snowblower

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
You're BAD Ronnie!

Ronnie Russell said:
Whats a snow blower? I dont guess my local Home Depot stocks such a thing.

I only wish that I lived in Central Texas. Clear Skies, Low Humidity...and NO SNOW!!!! My kind of place... :love

Wanna trade places in January , Ronnie??? :eek:

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
Low humidity??????

Rockfish39 said:
I only wish that I lived in Central Texas. Clear Skies, Low Humidity...and NO SNOW!!!! My kind of place...

Have you ever been down here, Rock? It's not quite as bad as the coast, but it's pretty rough at 50% humidity and 106 degrees in the shade....... :mad:

We always run our vehicles/equipment with a minimum of 10W40 or 30W. Even new Chevys hate the 5W30 in this heat.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Sure I have...

Lived most of the year 1979 in San Antonio...HOT YES, but still my kind of place!!

BTW... Northern VA is no picnic either at 95 degrees and 98% Humidity :eek:
You sweat to death here buddy! and radiator heat exchange efficiency goes WAY DOWN because of all that moisture too...

Rock :D

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
oil choice

Any of you guys use Amsoil. It was the first synthetic, invented by NASA back in the 60s, I think. I have used it for years. Had pick ups & cars with over 400,000 miles and used no oil between changes. Have taken a part high milage engines to replace leaking gaskets with no signs of ware. I use all their products in engines, trans ( std & auto) and rear end. Lots of 18 wheeleers use it. I guess it just comes down to what works for you. :dunno I run 20W50 in my W engines and 5W30 in my late model GMs.

W Head
59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
yes i use amsoil 20-50 racing in everything (but no snow blower) :roll
were i work i rebuild gear boxes and pumps elect.motors we use only amsoil
in all the above. we dropped temp. by 50 degrees in the gear boxes. bearing life 2-3 times longer.
the 4 ball bearing test is half the scaring compared to any other syn. oil made. :deal
you are right, if you have a weak gasket or seal it will find it.
before i changed it in my 2000 harley my temp. ran 235-240 on dyno oil
after brake in put in amsoil and cooler now 190 temp.
oil like lead in gas is up to the person and that is only my .00002 cents :D

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
hey w head
guess i will see you on labor day
if i can get the w motor to go that far :roll
roger :cheers
61 bubbletop
409 425hp
4 speed
factory a/c

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
GOOD STUFF but EXPENSIVE!

I was first introduced to AMSOIL products in 1983. Was great then, is great now.

BUT, the stuff is expensive. :help If money is no object, Amsoil has my highest recommendation. :bow

Personally I use M-1 because it is about 1/2 the cost of Amsoil and I dont have to go to a Amsoil guy to buy it . Besides, I dont drive my car much and Pep Boys is right down the street...