WI trying to eliminate classic cars from public roads?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Been reading up on this and I am just shocked to say the least. I sure hope this doesn't get passed!! Can you imagine? This is one of the more dumb things I have seen to date. Should piss a lot of people off for sure. There was a guy at the local cruise night last night handing out the proposal asking everyone to email their local senator to try and put a stop to this :pray

Here is the proposal:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/library/research/law/docs/trans-123.pdf

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
E-mail? The most INEFFECTIVE means of contact!

The basic rule of contacting any Rep, is that the less effort that went into it the less effective it will be.

E-mail is too easy, as a result they get more of it than their staff can handle properly.

WI is a small enough state that EVERYONE who cares about this should be able to show up at the office of their state senator or assemblyman (whatever the WI reps are called) and either speak directly to their elected official or their staff.

Each person that does so will be counted as representing at least ten more who feel the same way but did not speak out.

The other effective means are a written letter, followed by a typed (word processed) letter, a FAX, and a phone call.
Always ask for a written response!
The demand for a written response indicates that you are involved enough to follow up on the issue and are likely to remember the result at the next election.
This makes you one of the "Squeaky Wheels", too loud to ignore! :deal

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
you don't need to instruct me on this I assure you. I have 3 phonecalls in to my legislator (senator), 2 email follow-ups to notify him that I called and would be calling again (only a follow-up to the original phone call), I have contacted our local news radio stations on the phone and they asked that I email the proposal over for a look-see and I plan to make a trip out to Madison for the public hearing.

As a side note however, flooding our local senators inbox with properly titled emails WILL get noticed versus sitting back and hoping it will get handled the right way (which is won't in this state). An email is at least an effort. Not everyone is a composed speaker. Not everyone can conduct a discussion with a political representative in an appropriate manner. Now I will agree with you that a face-to-face meeting is the BEST way. Regardless of the delivery, I wanted you all to be aware that this bull**** is happening. Pray for a stop here. OR if it does get passed here in WI, pray other states don't see the benefit and jump on the bandwagon.

Just making it known that its been concocted and SOMEBODY thinks this is a great idea.

Thank you.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I totally agree with you Yellow. That has to be stopped at all cost and NOW!! and thats no garantee that it will stop there. Don't get me wrong I am for improving our enviorment as much as anyone. But I can almost garantee that the Green movment looks at our hobbie as unacceptable and would love to see us and our cars go away. And I think that this is just the begining of a nation wide movment to do just that. Get ready "The movment" will have everyone looking at us as if we were monster's:evil

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Yellow,

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I appreciate you bringing this up. I'm a little confused though. It seems to only address vehicles designed for off-road use that travel less than 20 mph and seems focused on imported ones.

Ch 341 of the statutes includes all typical vehicles including everything from ATV's to antique, collector and hobbyist cars. Stat 347.02(7) says street modified cars must be just like they were originally (which is nonsense because then they would not be modified cars) and it says replicas must be just like the original car they copy. Stat 341.268 addresses registration of reconstructed, replica, street modified, home made cars.

As I understand Trans 123.04, it still protects collector cars by saying the state "shall register" these vehicles built prior to 1968. I read this as all vehicles of this age with valid titles. The part about 1968 and later only addresses off-road vehicles.

So I'm a little baffled as to what this DOT rule is aimed at. Should we really be concerned or is it just aimed at imported military ATV's newer than 1968 like the one Paul Underwood might have tried to register as a "hobbyist" vehicle for on-road use? Maybe he has some slow Russian Army vehicle he wants to drive in parades, and 99.99999% of us and our cars are still o.k.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ I think you are right. There was a meeting last night in Germantown about this that I attended and those guys feel the same way. BUT STILL, the proposal is "gray" and not very well defined. The fact that the state can determine what is considered road-worthy scare me as they are NOT car people. Doyle's campaign had a lot of endorsement from Green organizations. Would imagine he needs to repay them back for getting him another term. I just ask that everyone be alert and cautious. They in Madison, WI do NOT have our best interest in mind here. It always has and always will be about money, power and back-scratching: Choose 2 of those. I DO agree however that some of these enormous military vehicles should not be allowed on public highways. A huge vehicle designed and built to stand up to the efforts of war strikes can and will impose unimaginable damage to a normal car. :nono1:

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
I agree!

By the way, were you looking for a later-60's Muncie a while ago? Mine has one and I'd like to put a '64 version in it someday.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I already bought one all redone for my car but shoot me a PM with what you want for it. My father-in-law is looking for one sooner than later also! :clap

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Sema

Maybe you guys need to contact SEMA ACTION NETWORK for some help. I'm sure they are aware of this.

www.semasan.com

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
"Just for off-road vehicles", sure, FOR NOW!

To quote Ronald Maximus, "The closest thing to eternal life you will ever see is a government program".

Once initiated these new agencies want to GROW!
Growth drives pay increases!
To grow they need new goals, more regulation to enforce, more support from their liberal base, examples of "problems" they have "Solved" or at least made credible progress in addressing.
So it's odd-ball imports today, "polluting" vehicles tomorrow, and dangerous modified or customized high performance cars the week after!

Kill this in it's infancy, before it gets a hold like toxic mold! :eek: :doh :takethat