wiper motor -- can it be bench checked?

zootzee

Well Known Member
I don't think the wiper motor is working. I have power to it. Is there supose to be a ground strap somewhere on there? It seems to me that there is power to one side then power to the other side that runs through the fire wall to the switch. I don't think the switch I have is the correct one. I only have the wire that comes through the fire wall that hooks up to the switch. But the wiper switch has three connectors on it. it also has a washer button on the switch but the car doesn't have a washer pump or lines.

So can I take the motor off and test it with the battery to see if there is any action? I would think that hooking up the + from the battery to one terminal and the - to the other (the one that goes through the firewwall) should make the motor turn?

I also read somewhere (most likely here) that these motors don't usually go they just need to be taken apart and cleaned.

What do you guys think?
Thanks all.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Steve,
I just went through this with the wiper motor on my '61. If you have the 2 speed motor.... I don't know if the single works the same or not. The brown wire to the motor is hot all the time (again 1961)..... the brown wire comes out of the harness above the wiper motor........ there is a ground from the wiper motor to the firewall.... mine is a thin piece of brass about 1/2" wide.

As I said the wiper motor has power to it all the time. The dash switch connects it to ground when you turn it on.

I have a great picture of the two speed wiper motor, switch and wiring that I can post but it's on my office computer and I won't be back at work for 10 days.

I would test it in the car if it was mine........ make sure nothing is frozen up on any of the linkage first. The shaft that the wiper blade fits onto was froze solid on mine.

Dave

zootzee

Well Known Member
Thanks Dave. I'll have to disconnect the wiper arms and see what happens. I didn't see any ground wire. I figured the switch grounded it self out on the dash when it's tightened up. I'm thinking that both wires that come off the motor are the same. Being live that is. Pictures couldn't hurt to see. I usually only get out to work on once a week.

A friend of mine in his 62 Pont had the same issue with his motor. It wouldn't move the arms. He undid the arms off the motor and the motor turned. Turned out it was too weak to move the arms, but moved when there was no restrictions. Might be the same with yours.

zootzee

Well Known Member
Thanks again Dave!
Saved me again, I was looking for the ground strap like you said and couldn't see anything. So I started taking off the bolts, and the first one I took off I noticed the rubber garment had a steel insert in it. So I looked farther and the ground strap was broken off.
Long story short ran a new ground and bang wipers work.
Still think its the wrong switch because it has three connectors on it and a washer button, but the car has no washer fluid, and the motor is only a single speed. But that will come in time.

Thanks again all.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think the single speed has 2 connectors, and there may be a single speed with washers.

Don