You are cordially invited...

bobs409

Administrator
Hey, those sure are nice looking T-shirts! :D Do they still look that white?

Your first run sure sounds like it was alot of work Tom. Mine just had a fuel line leak and eventually overheated, guess I got lucky.

Mine too had rust come out of the coolant. (water at that time) Even today, if I drain the antifreeze, there is rust. I cannot get rid of it!

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom - I would like to start off by thanking for your hospitality. You have a awsome family that you should be VERY proud of. I truly enjoyed the tour of your home and expecially the basement!!! Man Shed!!!!! :)

Guys - I had a great time with Tom and his friends. The 62' project is turning out to be a extremely nice car - with of course the best part being the drive line!!!
James is a quiet guy but in very short order you can tell he knows what he is doing - his best line came right after the initial 60 seconds of break in - "I'm in for the duration".

I have to be honest...even though no one ever wants to take a fresh engine out of the car, the exercise and opertunity was quite a bit of fun for me!!! I did not think that I would have the oportunity to have a "hands on" encounter with a 409 stroker. It gave a up close look at the bottom end of a well built stroker 409.

At around 12:00 (after a long ballance of pizza, cup cakes and longs necks) the engine came back to life. I can tell you it was an awsome sound for all!!!! The wrinkles in every ones forheads turned to big grins and the 25 min break in time passed. I am very used to my engine's pitter patter exhaust note and to hear the thump, thump, thump, thump of the big 409 stroker was music to my ears. :beerbang

Yes, now I have the 409 bug stronger than ever. The wife does not understand but she knows that the old car makes me happy and it was "part of the package". Like Phil Reed - I courted my lovely bride in it. I am still a couple of years out from having a 09 of my own, but I am getting there..

Tom - Thanks again for the GREAT TIME!!!! :cheers

Tom O

Tom O'Bryan

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom O, After the experience you had at Tom Ks home, I will bet that "couple of years" will shrink to one year. When you throw your own ---fire - up party- please serve " pizza, cup cakes, and long necks. " I think that would make a great traditional meal for most W head guys and gals.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Getting the bug!

Looks like we may have started a tradition with "fuel for the body" (pizza, cupcakes, and long necks) as well as for the 409 (high octane, air and spark) :).

You guys will be proud to know that we had a Convention hat autographed by Hayden, and the six inch sticker from the convention prominently displayed on the dash :). They look just great in the video! The full motion full sound video sounds very real when rendered in surround sound on the TV system at home. I will look into the possibilities of smashing those bits into something that is distributable via the Internet/Web on my growing website.

The video shows just how well a bunch of guys can diagnose and solve problems in creative ways, all while preparing to break the cam and bearings in on this build. It unfolded over time, and we didn't capture everything since we were busy taking things apart and reassembling all night long :). But it does show the interactions among the 4-5 guys there contributing to the lift off. I felt confident we would be successful, even if we still have a list of things to rectify before putting on that front clip :) :) :)

Brian, I was at the Convention Friday afternoon and night only. Went home that night after dinner with a load of '62 parts, thanks to TMRacing. Came back to KCIR Saturday morning with James Schrader, connected up with TomO, but we all thought the races were canncelled. So we porbably missed each other. I didn't bring a vehicle. Hopefully next time?

Cheers,

TomK