Jerry's 62 Impala build

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Brian: Will that center bearing, work with 4-speeds, or just 700r4's?:dunno Thanks.

I just finished reading your thread here...

Aside from a little bashing of my personal tastes in the beginning from a few people, I couldn't be happier my car is in VERY capable hands...

I've heard a lot about your work from Seth, and Jerry had nothin but good things to say also, so I look forward to seein this beast finished...

Keep up the good work and progress!

:clap:clap

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just finished reading your thread here...

Aside from a little bashing of my personal tastes in the beginning from a few people, I couldn't be happier my car is in VERY capable hands...

I've heard a lot about your work from Seth, and Jerry had nothin but good things to say also, so I look forward to seein this beast finished...

Keep up the good work and progress!

:clap:clap

Don't worry about that. I still get it all the time about my wheels! :) Thanks for selling this car to Jerry. He is very excited about it. In fact I don't think I have seen him this excited about a vehicle! There were a couple little surprises with the rust, but overall it was a very nice, clean and solid foundation.
You should come down to the Thompson, OH event this year. It will be on June 4 - 6 at Thompson Raceway. I am hoping to have the car there. Keep an eye on this thread for updates and whether or not it will be ready in time.

Don't worry about that. I still get it all the time about my wheels! :) Thanks for selling this car to Jerry. He is very excited about it. In fact I don't think I have seen him this excited about a vehicle! There were a couple little surprises with the rust, but overall it was a very nice, clean and solid foundation.
You should come down to the Thompson, OH event this year. It will be on June 4 - 6 at Thompson Raceway. I am hoping to have the car there. Keep an eye on this thread for updates and whether or not it will be ready in time.

I keep hearing everyone around here talk about that.. Didn't know it was so close..

If I don't already have a show planned that weekend, I'll be there!

kerrbss

Just ordered the driveshaft from Mountain Driveline. (928-532-8452)
For a 700r4, the front shaft from the seal face on the tranny to the center of the carrier bearing bolts is 21 5/8" and the rear shaft is 38 7/8" with a 9" rear. It also comes with a solid steel carrier bearing. Total came to $260.00 shipped!!!! This is the same shaft I have iin my 62 so I know they hold up.

I called Inland Empire and they wanted $717.00 plus shipping.:eek:

Here is a pic of the center bearing

lowerrider.gif

these center supports look a little cheesy to me, i always wanted to machine up a nice billet aluminum, just havent found the time

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Brian, have you used this driveshaft set up for drag racing. I like the price, but am worried it may leave me stranded at the track. I also would want 1350 series joints throughout the shaft along with the heavy carrier bearing. Anyone else use these shafts in a drag application. I would like to hear about it. Good or bad. :beerbang

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Brian, have you used this driveshaft set up for drag racing. I like the price, but am worried it may leave me stranded at the track. I also would want 1350 series joints throughout the shaft along with the heavy carrier bearing. Anyone else use these shafts in a drag application. I would like to hear about it. Good or bad. :beerbang

I'm using the Inland Empire 1310 telescopic rear piece with the shortened stock piece up front. I use 1310 series solid "Brut Force" U joints. Not sure if this unit would hold up to repeated launches with a clutch. Carrier bearing is a Inland Empire piece also.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I'm using the Inland Empire telescoping driveshaft on my 62 with the 1350 U joints all the way through. No problems at all. The driveshaft is 3".

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am using the telescopic driveshaft with 1310 joints from Mountain Driveline in my car. My rearend has a 1350 yoke so I have been using a 1310 to 1350 conversion u-jkoint in it. I have ordered another on from them with 1350 joints all the way around. I haven't had any problems with mine, but felt a little uneasy about the conversion u-joint being in there.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Body got painted on Monday, so I brought the frame out and put the body and all other panels on. They will wet sand it tomorrow and buff it on Monday.

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

IMG00028-20100514-1631.jpg

IMG00029-20100514-1632.jpg

IMG00030-20100514-1632.jpg

IMG00036-20100514-1649.jpg

IMG00032-20100514-1633.jpg

IMG00033-20100514-1633.jpg

IMG00034-20100514-1633.jpg

IMG00036-20100514-1649.jpg

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
wow you are quick

:bow Brian I have to come down on your next project and hand you tools and learn the art frim a Master.:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian................. you make the whole process look like a walk in the park.......... :takethat:takethat

:bow:roll:bow

Dave

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just ordered the driveshaft from Mountain Driveline. (928-532-8452)
For a 700r4, the front shaft from the seal face on the tranny to the center of the carrier bearing bolts is 21 5/8" and the rear shaft is 38 7/8" with a 9" rear. It also comes with a solid steel carrier bearing. Total came to $260.00 shipped!!!! This is the same shaft I have iin my 62 so I know they hold up.

I called Inland Empire and they wanted $717.00 plus shipping.:eek:

Here is a pic of the center bearing

lowerrider.gif

Brian, what wall thickness is your driveshaft? Thanks