Aluminum 409 Build

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Any updates on these engines:pop

We got the engine back together and went to a race on Sunday.
We only got one time trial and then one race pass so we still haven't done any real tuning, but the car ran well.
It ran 5.85 @ 117.79 on this 1/8th mile track.

Earlier in the year we ran 9.38 in the 1/4 mile and the 1/8th mile times for that run were 5.97 @116.58
This run was .12 and 1.21 mph quicker to the 1/8th mile mark and I think it's safe to say we'd pick up .01 on the second half of the track since we're moving quicker at the 1/8th mile mark.
So, I'm guessing we would be running about 9.25 in the 1/4 mile. :deal

The biggest difference is in the 60' time. It was a sluggish 1.40 on the 9.38 run. :(
The 60' time was 1.29 this weekend. :beer I'm happy with that. :clap

The difference was that we adjusted the instant center on the four link to hit the tires harder off the line.
We had started out with a very low and far ahead instant center setting at the beginning of the year. I think that's the smoothest and safest setting to start out with. (less chance of doing anything weird like darting into the other lane)
The next time out we moved the instant center up and back a little and the 60' time improved to 1.35
This time we went even farther up and back and did a 1.29 so I think we're very close on our setting now.

I think this will be our last time out for this year.
I'm anxious to get out there first thing next spring and do some tuning. We've got a bunch of things we want to try. I'm 100% sure we'll pick up another tenth or two before were done.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't know too much about drag racing, but it sounds like you're doing one heck of a great job with the engine and the car!:bow:beer

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I almost +1'd Ray saying that I can't give any advice except not to take any of mine......but then I remembered one that I can still give:

Keep the Shiny Side UP!!!!

1.29 sixty foot ...... NO Nitrous......NO Turbo.....No Supercharger.....Just PURE NATURALLY ASPIRATED 409 POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEED to rub this in the face of a lot of ricer, Mustang, turbo, NOS, (etc, etc) lovers in the area. I feel it is my duty. :deal

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dragway 42. June 2015. Salem Ohio. Bryan, you need to put this together!

Jim and Jim, that is the best news I've heard all day, and I've been fortunate to have a lot of good things happen today :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
[QUOTE="1961BelAir427, post: 246298, member: 2121"

1.29 sixty foot ...... NO Nitrous......NO Turbo.....No Supercharger.....Just PURE NATURALLY ASPIRATED 409 POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEED to rub this in the face of a lot of ricer, Mustang, turbo, NOS, (etc, etc) lovers in the area. I feel it is my duty. :deal[/QUOTE]

I would walk VERY LIGHTLY in regards to the performance of this engine in comparison to others!

Jim has done very well (and I applaud his commitment AS WELL as his achievement) with this engine with the inherit limits these motors seem to have, BUT if one was to compare the type of parts use, $$$ spent as well as the amount of extra labor in this engine, its been more a LABOR OF LOVE then building something that's outright fast. You start talking alum blocks, MAJOR rework of heads, sheetmetal intakes, stroker cranks into this equation, you might be surprised WHAT other engines produce!!!!

These motors are neat as hell.