Aluminum 409 Build

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would walk VERY LIGHTLY in regards to the performance of this engine in comparison to others!

Jim has done very well (and I applaud his commitment AS WELL as his achievement) with this engine with the inherit limits these motors seem to have, BUT if one was to compare the type of parts use, $$$ spent as well as the amount of extra labor in this engine, its been more a LABOR OF LOVE then building something that's outright fast. You start talking alum blocks, MAJOR rework of heads, sheetmetal intakes, stroker cranks into this equation, you might be surprised WHAT other engines produce!!!!

These motors are neat as hell.[/QUOTE]

I've seen plenty of examples of what I mentioned above: Ricers - Turbo cars - Nitrous cars - Mustangs with all of the above (including some with ricer crap added on) - and while I won't deny that they can be just as fast and faster - - it does not impress me one bit for someone to run their Turbo/Nitrous/or other forced induction ride that runs times and speeds similar. That statement is in comparison of the usual loudmouth punk cars mentioned above to this build and not to be taken in regards to anything else.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yup since 2010 I should of never went to Thompson!!:dunno I still don't know what the hell happened :crazy
I usually try not to say something like this on the forum but it's the only thing I can think to compare it to:

It's kinda like getting your first piece ain't it? You spend the rest of your life chasing it.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You said it Shan. I got to keep all of my stuff including my kids in my divorce, but it still cost plenty in the legal fees and my credit was ruined (even though none of the debt was mine). I have just now been able to get my credit back up to a "good" number.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
One of my car buddies (the one with the 69 Z/28 I asked about in the SB section) once said "there is no piece of a$$ good enough for me to give away half my stuff!"

My first car was a 409 so I got addicted at an early age:)

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Jim and Jim, How have you 2 been spending the winter? Any updates to this or any of your other cars?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good grief, Jim !!! Its about time !! That old motor in the '55 deserves a rest. I wouldn't even rebuild the old piece of iron,, just put it on an engine stand and display it as " Old Faithful". It has certainly served you well.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Normally I agree with Phil (Scary ain't it?) but have not this time. :poke Don't put that stallion out to pasture before it's time. Maybe swap the cam & lifters for something milder....along with the induction....and you'll have a very nice street motor that I bet will last for ages.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No Jason you might want to see a gastroenterologist,you might have your head up there!!!!!:roll:roll:rollSorry i just had to!!!!!

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm not going to see one of them. I still remember when Jerry Clower said that if you are ever in the hospital or doctor's office and you hear the words "proc" "toe".......to gather your split-tail hospital gown around you and head for the swamp! :D:taunt

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
We're not doing anything to the Pontiac but we do have a 481 ci block in at the machine shop right now. I think we might use it to build a new motor for the 55 Chevy.
I'll start a thread on that soon.
How about some updates on both of these :clap