Aluminum 409 Build

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
How about some updates on both of these :clap

We didn't do anything to the aluminum engine or the Pontiac over the winter.
We didn't do anything to the 55 Chevy either but both cars should be out for their first race this coming weekend. :beer

The 481 ci stroker we're building is still at the machine shop along with the factory Z11 heads we picked up this winter.
I'll start a thread on that engine as soon as we make some progress.
The plan is to use the Z11 heads on that engine and use a somewhat moderate cam in order to keep the rpm's in a reasonable range.
I think that engine will probably go in the 55 Chevy but we might just save it as a backup engine for either car.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, we just blew up the engine in the 55 Chevy. :cry
But on a happier note the Pontiac ran really well.

It ran 9.214 @ 146.60 which is it's best 1/4 mile time so far.
It was hot and muggy (3,650 da) and the track wasn't really prepped well at all,,, but there was a bit of a tailwind.
The 60' time on that run was 1.375 That's a fair bit slower than the 1.293 60' time we did last fall on a good track.

The only thing I didn't like was that the engine was still touching the rev limiter at 8,000 rpm crossing the line. I had to set it to 8,100 rpm. :hide
We might have to get some taller tires to get the revs down a little.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Jim. That's an incredible ¼ mile!:burnout

What's the damage to the engine? and how did the Pontiac do?

Ron

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We had the Pontiac out this weekend and ran a best ever 9.06 @ 148 mph. :beer

The weather was great for making horsepower with a very good density altitude reading of about 1275.
There was also tailwind, but the traction wasn't great. Our best 60' time was 1.317 which was a little off our previous best of 1.293

I don't think we'll match these times during the heat of summer but it does give me hope that an 8.99 might be possible on a good track in the fall. :pray

We did get a video of one of the 9.06 runs. I'll post it if I can figure out how to download it. (It's from and older style camcorder that takes a disc)

9.06 Timeslip JPEG.jpg

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a suggestion but for video but a GoPro. Awesome HD quality, totally autofocus and they can be mounted anywhere. And they aren't all that pricey anymore. We use them at work All the time! Amazing little cameras

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Awesome. What does it weigh?

It's right about 3,200 lbs with a driver.

Just a suggestion but for video but a GoPro. Awesome HD quality, totally autofocus and they can be mounted anywhere. And they aren't all that pricey anymore. We use them at work All the time! Amazing little cameras

Yeah, I've got a GoPro. It works great but this is a video taken from the stands.
I've got a newer camcorder that takes a chip but it doesn't have an eyepiece for viewing with. It does show you what you're filming on a screen but you can't see the screen well enough to follow the race on a sunny day.